Subscribe to email updates
Today’s post was written by Cody White, Archivist at the National Archives at Denver. This is part two in a three part series. Read Part I.
In 1930 Secretary of Interior Ray Lyman Wilber visited southern Nevada to inaugurate the construction of a long planned dam on the Colorado River. Known until then as Boulder Dam, Wilber announced a new name, one in honor of a man who had been an accomplished engineer in his own right before a long tenure of government service which in part involved advocating for the dam. That man was President Herbert Hoover.
Two years later on November 8, 1932, Hoover lost the presidency to Franklin D. Roosevelt. This photograph found in our Bureau of Reclamation holdings (RG 115, Public Relations Photographs, NAID 562813) was taken only four days later and shows President Hoover’s first, and last, official visit to the dam that bore his name. The ignominy continued when in 1933 the newly installed Secretary of Interior Harold Ickes reversed course and changed the name back to Boulder Dam. It stayed as such until 1947 when President Harry Truman signed a resolution restoring the name we know today, Hoover Dam.
BCP 1439 A Boulder Canyon Project, Nevada President Herbert Hoover, and official party in tunnel #2 during inspection tour of Boulder Canyon Project. 11-12-32, Bureau photo by B.D. Glaha
On October 2, 1937, the population of Mason City, Washington swelled as nearly 6,000 cars poured into the town, prompting police to close the highway leading in. The occasion? As seen in this photograph, people were hoping to catch a glimpse of President Franklin D. Roosevelt as he toured the Grand Coulee Dam construction site, a project that he had set in motion as President. In his remarks that day:
“There is another phase that I was thinking about this morning. When the dam is completed and the pool is filled, we shall have a lake 155 miles long running all the way to Canada. You young people especially are going to live to see the day when thousands and thousands of people are going to use this great lake both for transportation purposes and for pleasure purposes. There will be sail boats and motor boats and steamship lines running from here to the northern border of the United States and into Canada.”
In 1942 as the dam gates were closed that lake was created – covering 125 square miles and indeed reaching all of the way to the Canadian border. While he was never able to return and see it, five days after his death the reservoir was renamed the Franklin D. Roosevelt Lake in his honor.
Grand Coulee dam. President’s visit. No caption.
On October 1, 1952, while on a nationwide train tour stumping for the Democratic Presidential ticket, President Harry Truman and his daughter Margaret arrived in Kalispell, Montana to dedicate the Hungry Horse Dam on the South Fork Flathead River in Montana. There are several photographs in our Bureau of Reclamation holdings chronicling the visit but this is one of the more entertaining, a jocular moment which shows the President throwing the switch to signal the start of first power production at the Hungry Horse Power Plant. This was the climax of the dam dedication ceremony held at the Flathead County High School gymnasium. Earlier in the day at the dam site Truman visited with workers and, according to the Missoulian newspaper “showed off his knowledge of civil engineering, asking some pointed questions about the building of the dam.”
Following his dedication speech, President Truman closed a switch on the stage of the Flathead County High School gymnasium to signal operators at the Hungry Horse Power Plant to throw the first generator on the line. Power from the Hungry Horse Plant began flowing into the northwest power pool at 11:35 AM, October 1, 1952. Standing with the President (left to right) are Secretary of the Interior Oscar L. Chapman and Donald C. Treloar, President of the Flathead Valley Citizens Committee which sponsored the dedication program. October 1, 1952
General Dwight D. Eisenhower had a deep Colorado connection, with his marriage to Mamie Doud and birth of son John both occurring here in Denver. Photographs of him show up in several places in our collection: while visiting the Hoover Dam during the 1952 campaign, on a 1954 air tour of reclamation project sites, and during his convalescence at the Fitzsimmons Army Hospital after his 1955 heart attack. But in this photograph, found in our Record Group 461 Records of the U.S. Air Force Academy holdings (Construction Project Study Files, NAID 568045), we see President Eisenhower visiting one of his administration’s lasting accomplishments – the U.S. Air Force Academy.
President Eisenhower signed into law the creation of the Academy in 1954 and five years later he visited the newly constructed campus in Colorado Springs, Colorado where he spoke to the cadets assembled in the dining hall. In this, one of several images we hold from that day, we see the president arriving in Colorado.
[President Eisenhower arriving at the Air Force Academy, 1959]
This summer, choose your own POTUS Vacation with 13 of our Presidents. Your first destination is @USNatArchives on Instagram.
TAGS Air Force Academy
, Cody White
, Dwight D. Eisenhower
, Franklin D. Roosevelt
, Grand Coulee Dam
, Harry Truman
, Herbert Hoover
, Hoover Dam
, Hungry Horse Dam
, Presidential Vacations
, Presidential visits
, RG 115
, RG 461
Today’s post was written by Cody White, Archivist at the National Archives at Denver.
Campaigns. Dedications. Even family vacations. For one reason or another United States Presidents have found some excuse to visit the American West and scattered throughout the National Archives at Denver holdings are photographs of 11 presidents on just such trips. Some like President Johnson only show up in our records under a different role, in his case that of Vice President, while others like President Kennedy have a half dozen official presidential trips documented in our photographic holdings. While these images have popped up in series often with little or no additional information other than a caption, by using historical newspaper accounts along with university and government web pages we can further flesh out the context of these visits for, as Paul Harvey used to say, “the rest of the story.”
In 1902 President Theodore Roosevelt signed the Newlands Reclamation Act into law, setting in motion irrigation projects across the west and ultimately leading to the creation of the Bureau of Reclamation headquartered in Denver Colorado. One of the five original projects, and the first completed, was the Theodore Roosevelt Dam on the Salt River in present day Arizona. Though out of office on March 18, 1911, Roosevelt was on hand for the dedication and to personally push the button starting the flow of water through the completed dam. In this photograph from our Record Group 115 Records of the Bureau of Reclamation holdings we see Colonel Roosevelt, as he is addressed in the caption, speaking to the assembled crowd. Amazingly enough given the date of the dedication, which preceded even Arizona statehood, the Library of Congress has a very short silent film clip of him that day available to watch online.
“Salt River Project. Dedication ceremonies of Roosevelt Dam, Colonel Roosevelt speaking. March 18, 1911. Photographer Walter J. Lubkin”
In this next Bureau of Reclamation photograph dated September 23, 1909, we see Roosevelt’s successor President William Howard Taft at the dedication of the Gunnison Tunnel in western Colorado, a 5.8 mile tunnel cut through the Black Canyon to divert water from the Gunnison River to the Uncompahgre Valley. Nearby Montrose Colorado rolled out the red carpet for the president, constructing a two story high memorial arch across the main street and holding a parade. In his remarks that day Taft joked about the valley’s pronunciation stating it was an “incomparable valley with the unpronounceable name.”
“President Taft speaking at the opening of the Gunnison Tunnel. On his right is C.E. Adams. To his left are Major J.Q. Allen and Frank D. Catlin. Photo taken September 23, 1909 State Historical Society of Colorado negative #F-2441″
On August 2, 1923, President Warren G. Harding passed away from a massive stroke while staying in San Francisco. Harding had been on a tour of the American West prior to his death and only one month earlier had visited Yellowstone National Park, seen here in a photograph from our Record Group 79 Records of the National Park Service holdings. In this photograph is President Harding, far left, with the Secretary of Interior Hubert Work, National Park Service Director Stephen Mather, and Yellowstone Superintendent Horace Albright. Newspaper accounts from the time remark that Work suggested Harding try his hand at trout fishing but “Mr. Harding isn’t generally regarded as much of a fisherman” and so did not. However, Harding did get a chance while visiting the park to feed a bear named Max, a practice that is widely discouraged today.
“President Harding, Secretary of Interior Hubert Work, and Director Stephen Mather of the National Park Service with Superintendant Horace Albright at Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, July 2, 1923”
The morning after Harding’s untimely death Vice President Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as President of the United States by his father, a notary public, while at his family home in Vermont. Four years later the new president also visited Yellowstone National Park, seen here in this image along with Park Superintendent Albright. According to the August 21, 1927, edition of the Chicago Tribune the trip was “a family holiday” and the president “has put his foot down on all political and junketing aspects of this vacation within a vacation.”
“Superintendant Albright with President Coolidge in Yellowstone, 1927”
This summer, choose your own POTUS Vacation with 13 of our Presidents. Your first destination is @USNatArchives on Instagram. The adventures begin on Wednesday, August 8th.
- “Salt River Project. Dedication ceremonies of Roosevelt Dam, Colonel Roosevelt speaking. March 18, 1911 Photographer Walter J. Lubkin;” Personnel Presidents; Public Relations Photographs, 1981 – 1983, NAID 562813; RG 115.
- “President Taft speaking at the opening of the Gunnison Tunnel. On his right is C.E. Adams. To his left are Major J.Q. Allen and Frank D. Catlin. Photo taken September 23, 1909 State Historical Society of Colorado negative #F-2441;” Miscellaneous Dams Photographs Uncompahgre Project; Photographs 1902-2002, NAID 2107149; RG 115.
- “President Harding, Secretary of Interior Hubert Work, and Director Stephen Mather of the National Park Service with Superintendant Horace Albright at Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, July 2, 1923;” A-8215 Special Events 1955-1964; Subject Files, 1949 – 1965, NAID 1048616; RG 79.
- “Superintendant Albright with President Coolidge in Yellowstone, 1927;” A-8215 Special Events 1955-1964; Subject Files, 1949 – 1965, NAID 1048616; RG 79.
Today’s post was written by Jessica Lee, a summer intern in the Reference Section, Civil records team at the National Archives in Washington, DC.
In a previous blog post, I wrote about an interesting fraud case I discovered in the records of the Fraud Order Case Files, 1894-1951 (NAID 2660896). That file pertained to the “White Wizard”, a man from Tacoma, Washington, who sold horoscopes though the U.S. Mail.
As with my previous blog, the name of the accused party stood out: “Prince Richard, Onikoyi of Ikoyi” of Lagos, Nigeria. My first thought was that this couldn’t possibly be anything like the infamous scam on the Internet, where a supposed member of a foreign royal family emails an individual asking for financial assistance in exchange for which said individual will supposedly receive even more money.
Upon delving into Fraud Case 8011 (by Order No. 39606 on January 17, 1949) more, I found myself returning to the saying “everything old is new again.”
To understand the procedures when dealing with mail fraud, the general charge against the named parties was “conducting a scheme or device for obtaining money through the mails by means of false and fraudulent pretenses, representations, and promises.” Once the Postmaster General brought this charge against someone, postmasters were essentially forbidden to deliver any money orders, letters, and other mail matter to said party and were directed to return these materials and/or inform senders that the delivery of these materials has been forbidden.
In this instance, the Senior Trial Examiner assigned to the case, James C. Haynes, Jr., submitted a “Finding of Fact and Recommendations to the Postmaster General for the Issuance of a Fraud Order” on January 13, 1949. According to Haynes’ report, Prince Richard wrote to people in the United States and requested “that various sums of money and articles of clothing be sent him,” and in return he would “send items of jewelry and other articles of Nigerian production.” Prince Richard also claimed “that he is related to a Nigerian potentate, that his ‘palace grounds’ are at 107 Victoria Street, and that he has three stores in Nigeria which sell African products.”
Haynes went on to say that, based on evidence collected by the Office of International Trade of the Department of Commerce and by the American Consul General in Nigeria, Prince Richard was in reality “a sixteen-year-old youth who has no stores of merchandise as he represents, that he is in no sense related to Nigerian royalty, that his title of ‘Prince’ is but a figment of his imagination, … and that his correspondence with the persons solicited in the United States always ceases as soon as the money or articles sent to ‘Prince Richard’ have been received by him.” Based on Haynes’ recommendation, a fraud order against Prince Richard was issued by the Postmaster General several days later.
I found a similar fraud case (No. 8104, by Order No. 40903, issued on July 1, 1949) concerning one “Prince Bil Morrison” of Lagos, Nigeria was charged. Haynes wrote that Prince Bil Morrison “solicits various sums of money and articles of clothing to be sent him, in return for which he promises and pretends that he will send the donors items of Nigerian ivory, diamonds, and jewels.” This time, the perpetrator was “a fourteen year old Nigerian youth, who in no sense is entitled to the royal title of ‘Prince,’ but who used that title, according to his admission to Nigerian police officials, ‘just for fun’s sake’.”
Hayes further explained that Prince Bil Morrison was really “one of a number of young Nigerian school boys” and that the Nigerian police “have stated officially that this practice has become so widespread that in their opinion, only by notices in the American press will the public be made aware of the fact” that this was occurring. As happened in the case with Prince Richard, Haynes recommended that the Postmaster General issue a fraud order against Prince Bil Morrison.
Unfortunately, neither case file includes anything that indicates what may have become of either “prince”, but it is amazing that given the growth of Internet fraud in recent years, it looks like history does repeat itself.
Today’s post was written by Megan Dwyre, Archivist at the National Archives in College Park.
Several species of shark have been known to attack a swimming man. Your chances of encountering one of these are not great…– Extract from “Survival on Land and Sea.”
“Shark Attacks”, a 1944 survey conducted by the Coordinator of Research and Development, U.S. Navy, Emergency Rescue Equipment Section, explains that prior to December 14, 1942, the Navy considered sharks an insignificant danger to personnel. A survey of available records revealed “only two, or perhaps three, authentic instances of shark bite.” In addition, existing information suggested that sharks were wary of strange objects and would likely be driven away by loud commotions (e.g. explosions), which typically accompanied wartime events where men would be thrown into the sea.
The wartime shark attack cases that constitute Part 1 of the survey seem to suggest otherwise. They recount, often in graphic detail, the harrowing experiences of a few soldiers who were attacked by sharks and lived to tell the tale.
One such case was that of Lieutenant Arthur George Reading, who survived a plane crash over the South Pacific in May 1943, only to spend the next sixteen hours in the water fighting away sharks – first with binoculars, then with his hands and feet. While trying to attract the attention of planes flying overhead, the crash’s other survivor, Aviation Radioman 1st Class Everett Hardin Almond, felt something strike his foot – he had been bitten. Lt. Reading recounted that, soon after, “there were more than five sharks around and blood all around us.” Realizing the wound was severe, Almond heroically offered his life jacket to Reading, although Reading refused to accept it. Sadly, Almond suffered a number of subsequent attacks and was killed. Reading recalled that by sunset that evening he had given up hope. Fortunately, around midnight he spotted a Yard Patrol (YP) boat, which came to his rescue.
Because many shark attacks followed ship sinkings, it is impossible to determine the exact number of shark-related deaths during World War II. Reading’s story, and the other cases contained in the report, likely provide only a glimpse of the horrors inflicted by this unsuspected foe.
The records cited above can be found in “Shark Attacks,” Coordinator of Research and Development, U.S. Navy, Emergency Rescue Equipment Section, 1944, Research Data: Shark Attacks (NAID 6946057), Subject Files, 10/30/1941-1954, Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Air Staff), Record Group 341.
 Extract from Survival on Land and Sea, reprinted in “Shark Attacks,” page 5.
 Technical Note No. 89-42, Navy Department, Bureau of Aeronautics, reprinted in “Shark Attacks,” pages 3-4.
 “Attack on Air Crash Survivors, South Pacific, May 1943. One Fatality,” Case 1, Part 1, “Shark Attacks,” pages 6-12.
Today’s post was written by Dr. Greg Bradsher and Dr. Sylvia Naylor, Archivists at the National Archives in College Park.
Dr. Alfred Hentzen, on the staff of the Kaiser Friedrich Museum in Berlin, was mobilized into the German Army in mid-1942. While serving on the Intelligence Staff of a Panzer Division in North Africa, he was captured by the British on May 12, 1943, his fortieth birthday. Three years later, in London, he was interrogated by John M. Phillips, the head of the London Desk of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) Art Looting Investigation Unit and Denys Sutton, Secretary to the Commission for the Protection & Restitution of Cultural Material (the Vaucher Commission).
Hentzen told his interrogators that he worked on a special project in 1940 with Dr. Otto Kümmel, a specialist in East Asia art and the history of weapons. Born on August 22, 1874, Kümmel studied at the Universities of Freiburg, Bonn and Paris. He began his career in 1901 as a volunteer at the Museum of Applied Arts in Hamburg. During the next eighteen years he worked at the Zeughaus, Berlin; the Municipal collections of Freiburg; Museum of Ethnology, Berlin, of which he became the director in 1919. In 1932 he joined the Nazi Party and in 1934 he was appointed Director General of the Berlin State Museums. He also served as the Director of the Kaiser Friedrich Museum.
Hentzen said that in September 1940, together with Kümmel and Dr. Niels von Holst (Head of the branch office of the Kaiser Friedrich Museum) he arrived in Paris on a secret mission. Their aim was to compile a catalogue of those works of art taken by France from Germany during the Napoleonic Wars and those sequestrated by the French authorities at the outbreak of the war in 1914. This, he said, was an amplification of the research begun by Dr. Karl Wilkes of Düsseldorf and Dr. Rudolf Brandts of Bonn which had been published in 1939 as Denkschrift und Listen über den Unstraub der Franzosen im Rheinland seit 1794 (Memorandum and lists of the art theft of the French in the Rhineland since 1794). Their task, Hentzen said, had been commissioned by the German Ministry of Propaganda with a view to advancing German claims for restitution at the Peace Treaty with France. Their research work was mainly carried out at the Bibliothèque Nationale de France and consisted of investigating catalogues of sales and museums and the gazette of the Hôtel Drouot, the large auction house in Paris that opened in 1852. Von Holst was responsible for the Napoleonic period; Hentzen for the 1914 period; and Kümmel for the general editing. Hentzen also went to Brussels in order to compile lists of Belgian and Dutch collections taken by the French. This research, which was later published in mimeographed form took three months to complete, and necessitated three visits to Paris.
The report, which was commissioned by the Reich Minister and Chief of the Reich Chancellery and the Reich Minister for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, was completed by Otto Kümmel on December 31, 1940. It lists art works and other historically relevant objects, including paintings, prints, textiles, coins, furniture, and other objects that they claimed fell into foreign hands since 1500 without German permission or based on questionable legal acts. The list did not include books, manuscripts, maps, sheets of music, archival materials, military trophies and weapons.
The report consists of three main parts:
- Part I lists works whose location is known. It is thereunder subdivided according to the significance of the works (works and collections of special artistic and historical significance, works of lesser prominence and works of local significance).
- Part II lists works whose whereabouts are unknown (and thus it is unknown if they still exist).
- Part III lists works owned by German nationals that were confiscated as a result of the World War and subsequent Versailles and St. Germain Treaties.
The description of each item on the list typically includes title/description of object, name of artist (if known), and location. For works in the possession of museums, only a catalog number is cited.
On May 5 elements of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, and the 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division entered Berchtesgaden. As soon as the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment occupied Berchtesgaden, Technician Thrid Grade (T/3) George Allen, with the Counterintelligence Corps (CIC), 101st Airborne Division, proceeded there to open the Division (MIS) Counterintelligence office. He was soon assisted by CIC Special Agent Eric Albrecht, who had been sent to the division on detached service. On May 8, Albrecht found copy No. 1 of the Kümmel Report on the Obersalzberg, the mountainside retreat situated above Berchtesgaden, perhaps at or near the Berghof (Adolf Hitler’s residence). That same day, Capt. James J. Rorimer, the Monuments, Fine Arts and Archives Specialist Officer with the Seventh U.S. Army arrived at Berchtesgaden. Not long afterwards Albrecht gave Rorimer the recovered Kümmel Report.
In early 1946, Rorimer would leave military service and return to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. Instead of sending the copy of the Kümmel Report to the Heidelberg Document Center operated by the Seventh U.S. Army, he took it home with him. Had he turned it over to the document center, which in turn transferred it to the Munich Central Collecting Point as a reference tool, or retained it as part of its captured records collection, the report would have subsequently been accessioned by the National Archives.
In 1949, Rorimer contacted Ardelia Hall, Arts and Monuments officer of the Department of State, about turning his copy of the Kümmel Report over to the Department of State. Following up on their conversations, Lawrence S. Morris, Acting Chief, Division of Libraries and Institutes, wrote Rorimer on April 28, 1949, that arrangements were being made to transfer the Kümmel Report. Morris informed Rorimer that the “report will remain in the custody of the Department of State or other appropriate government agency.” On April 28, Ardelia Hall requested that arrangements be made for an official Department courier to pick up the report from Rorimer.
Rorimer wrote Morris on May 2 that he had turned over to the Registrar’s office of the Metropolitan Museum the report for delivery to an official Department of State courier. According to the museum’s website a photostatic copy was made from the original typescript at the Department of State. It is this photostatic copy that can be viewed on line.
The exact date of transfer from the museum to the Department of State is not certain, but by March 1950 it was in the Department of State files. At the end of that month the Chief Curator of the National Gallery, John Walker, had his secretary call Ardelia Hall and ask that the Kümmel Report be “deposited in the National Gallery of Library of Congress.” Hall told the secretary that she had use for the report and believed it was not for public use.” Hall added that if Walker wanted to see it, she thought that might be arranged, but that she could not transfer it. The secretary said the National Gallery of Art was buying a photostat from the Metropolitan Museum.
On January 29, 1962 the original copy of the Kümmel Report was transferred from the Department of State to the Library of Congress, to whom we refer researchers when they request the report.
- John M. Phillips, Head, London Desk, OSS Art Unit and Denys Sutton, Secretary to the Commission for the Protection & Restitution of Cultural Material, Report on Preliminary Interrogation of P.W. Alfred Hentzen (ID668), Held at London on 22-23 June 1945, n.d., File: Personalities-Miscellaneous, Subject File, 1940-1946, NAID 1537311 Record Group 239, National Archives Microfilm Publication M-1944, Roll No. 89.
- Decimals 862.403/5-249 and 862.414/4-2949, Central Decimal File 1945-1949, NAID 302021, General Records of the Department of State, Record Group 59.