New Exhibit Opens!

by on April 19, 2010

Exploring Hoover’s Attic: Treasures, Keepsakes, Surprises is the new exhibit that runs from April 17 through October 31, 2010. Over the years the Hoovers accumulated thousands of objects. At last count, the Hoover Library had carefully preserved 8,000 items. Exploring Hoover’s Attic is, therefore, an unprecedented look at the “stuff” of history. The exhibit features  items the Hoover family thought important enough to save first in their homes and now at the Hoover Presidential Library.

Here is a glimpse of one the artifacts on display in the new exhibit. You are seeing only part of the photo. Can you guess what the object is?

puzzle_web

Comments

Jan, Docent at Hoover Library April 23, 2010 at 11:47 am

Riverdale Elementary 5th graders were very attentive and interested group. A student commented that, “When we crossed the rotunda floor from fishing to attic we walked across the world!” Many of the students want to bring their families for a visit this summer.

Mary April 23, 2010 at 5:19 pm

That’s correct Riverdale Elementary 5th graders, when you cross the rotunda you are standing on top of the world. You can see 57 brass sheaves of wheat in this globe one in every country where Mr. Hoover fed people in the course of his life — an estimated one billion people.

Kathy May 5, 2010 at 2:55 pm

The 4th grade students today from Nixon Elementary in Hiawatha were amazed to see the book signed by George Washington. They enjoyed many other items in the attic exhibit and especially liked seeing the wedding dresses. These students were incredibly polite, respectful and very interested in everything we looked at and talked about during our hour together.

Lucas, Frances Marion Intermediate May 7, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for taking me on a tour of Herbert Hoover’s house, school house, and his grave. My favorite part is when I got to see the greaser gun, the rifle, and the sword.
Your visitor,
Lucas

Devyn, Frances Marion Intermediate May 7, 2010 at 3:47 pm

To the Staff of Hoover Museum,
My favorite thing was the gift shop. What I liked was all the toys in the gift shop. And all the jewelry at the gift shop.

My second favorite is the Attic Room. What got my attention the most was the army weapons and suits. And the big cloth made from Alpaca wool.

Thank you for everything you taught me.
From,
Devyn

Jan, Docent at Hoover Library May 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm

On April 29 I had the pleasure of leading 2 groups of sixth grade students, teachers and chaperones from the Marshalltown Area Catholic Schools on a tour of the permanent exhibits and our new temporary exhibit of “Treasurers from Hoover’s Attic.” The students paid attention and were interested the entire time! “The attic exhibit is amazing. I’ll be back with my family this summer.” “Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.” These statements gave the students confidence to ask questions and make comments as well. As we were leaving the display one of the boys said to me, “Thanks, Mrs. E., I sure learned a lot today.”

Lauren, Docent at Hoover Library May 7, 2010 at 4:26 pm

A neat thing happened on my tour on Friday, April 30.

My group had entered the Unique and Unexpected portion of the “Exploring Hoover’s Attic” exhibit. The first items after Humble Beginnings that you come across are the case of fire arms that the Hoovers, particularly Lou Henry Hoover, collected. I told the class to notice the rifle that had the name HOOVER inscribed on the bottom. All of a sudden, I heard a voice from the back of the room that said, “That gun works and I have fired it many times.”

I went on with the the tour and by the time we got to the Personal Stuff room, Tim Walch was talking to this gentleman and a younger man was with him. Tim said, “May I interrupt you and introduce you to Herbert Hoover’s grandson, Andy, and his great-grandson Alexander. What a pleasant surprise.

I also had the privilege of meeting Herbert (Pete) Hoover III when he visited the Library with President’s Truman’s grandson a couple of years ago, and in the same room.

Who knows who or what you will meet in Hoover’s Attic.

Kanim, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Dear Herbert Hoover Library,
My name is Kanim.I really liked the trip. Some things I liked are the Attic Exhibit, Herbert fishing, I liked the part where the gun shot the house and the plaster fell off. I bought a geode there. Now I have about 201. I love collecting rocks. My favorite rock is the geode. I got astronaut ice cream. I thought it would be grouse, but it was great. My favorite thing was to see the black smith. We got to see him smash metal. I also liked how when he put it in the water, and then we felt it the metal was cold. I wish I could of saw him bend it

Nancy, Docent at the Hoover Museum May 12, 2010 at 9:30 am

The big attractions in the new temporary exhibit were Mrs. Hoover’s gun collection, the military uniforms and gas mask.

Marilyn, Docent at the Hoover Museum May 12, 2010 at 9:45 am

Chivalry is not Dead
I gave a tour on Monday, May 3, to a group of senior citizens from Janesville, WI. Some of the ladies had walkers. As we entered the “Attic” exhibit, a gentleman with a cane entered the exhibit first, planted his cane firmly on the platform, and helped each lady with a walker maneuver up the incline. A real gentleman, I’d Say!
Marilyn

Jan, Docent at Hoover Library May 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Paul Norton Elementary
As we were stopped by the 2000 year old Paracas Mantle and taking a close look at the weaving, students from both groups exclaimed they didn’t think people from 2000 years ago could make such a beautiful cloth! They were pretty impressed.
Janet, Docent for the Library

Jan, Docent at Hoover Library May 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Harrison Elementary,
At the end of the tour one of the boys asked to take a close look at my red Docent jacket. He had noticed my Governor’s Award, the NARA pin and my Hoover badge and wanted to know what they were all for. I told him and then he asked if they were for sale in the gift shop ’cause he’d like to buy some. They were pretty neat he thought!
Janet, Docent

Lauren, Docent at Hoover Library May 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

I asked the students what was their favorite part of the museum tour.
#1 — The guns in the new temporary exhibit that Lou Henry Hoover collected.
#2 — The gowns because you don’t see many dresses like that any more.
#3 — The Belgium Relief Warehouse that is where food was stored so Mr. Hoover could help feed people.
Lauren, Docent

Nancy, Docent at Hoover Library May 17, 2010 at 3:48 pm

What a fun group! This group of fifth graders had many, very specific questions such as how does the Hoover Library acquire things, how do we know that things actually belonged to Herbert Hoover, whether any of his children were still alive, etc. I talked first and then allowed the students to ask questions and take photos as we moved from one exhibit to another.
Nancy, Docent

Nettie, Kenwood Elementary May 17, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Dear Herbert Hoover Park,
Thank you! :)
The place was amazing. I loved it. My favorite part was Lou’s weapon collection. I’ve never heard of a woman who would do that.
Thank you soooo much!
Love,
Nettie

John, Docent at the Hoover Museum May 24, 2010 at 12:21 pm

This was one of the best groups of 5th graders I have had in awhile. They were so very prepared. The teacher is retiring after 37 years of teaching and has had groups here many, many times. I asked her to break in and mention anything she wanted to stress. She spoke very affectionately about items such as the Belgian Rooster flour sack, Belgian lace, famine bread, and the Great Depression. She wanted me to talk about the Bonus March and Berlin Wall. When I asked what the students liked the best — several said “everything!” One boy replied that was a hard question.

Kathleen, Docent at Hoover Library May 25, 2010 at 10:11 am

6th grade Lucas Elementary
When looking at the wedding dresses in the “Attic” exhibit one of the girls asked how old is Margaret Claire Hoover. Checking the “Genealogy of Herbert Hoover” book we found that she was born on December 11, 1977.
Kathleen, Docent at Hoover Library

Phyllis, Docent at Hoover Library June 3, 2010 at 11:20 am

This 3rd grade class from Penn Elementary was very knowledgeable. They told me Hoover was a millionaire at 40 years before I had a chance to say “by 40 he was a millionaire.” Their favorite part of the exhibit was the last gallery with President Hoover fishing.
Phyllis — Docent

John, Docent at Hoover Library June 3, 2010 at 11:22 am

I great group of 5th graders from Milliken Elementary. They had a lot of knowledge. It was obvious that the teachers had spent a lot of time with them. She remarked that she used the film and all the materials that had been sent.
John, Docent

Phyllis, Docent at Hoover Library June 3, 2010 at 11:25 am

The 5th graders from McKinley, were one of the best group of museum visitors I’ve had this year — still interested to the very end! The boys found the weapons of great interest and the girls, the dresses in the temporary exhibit. The (girls) especially liked Lou’s ball gown.

Dick, Docent at Hoover Library June 3, 2010 at 11:34 am

Table Mound from Dubuque
An enthusiastic group who already knew a lot, paid attention, and asked excellent questions. Please come again.
Dick, Hoover Library Docent

Shayla – Madison June 17, 2010 at 9:57 am

Thank you for touring us through the museum. I really like the part when you showed us the dresses. Have a good day.
From, Shayla

Elise – Keota June 17, 2010 at 10:58 am

Thank you for giving our class a wonderful field trip. I really liked the world map on the floor. It’s (sad) that his parents had to die at an early age.
My favorite part was when in China. I sure wouldn’t just push the bike home if I was shot at. She was very brave.
I really like the dress part, too. The dresses were so pretty. We took a picture. It looked like I was in the case!