Hoover's Birthplace

by on May 11, 2010

birthplace-cottage_web

The Hoover family lived in a small house in the Quaker village of West Branch, Iowa. The house was built by Jesse Hoover and his father Eli in 1871. The original home still stands today and is preserved by the National Park Service which is  adjacent to the Hoover Presidential Library-Museum. The original home is 14-by-20 feet and has two rooms and a back porch.

Comments

McKenna, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for everything you did for us. I loved it. So far that was the best field trip ever. My favorite part was when the ranger took us on a tour of the church, Herbert Hoover’s house, blacksmith shop, and more. The ranger was super nice. The museum tour was ok.
Your visitors,
McKenna

MacKenzie, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Dear personnel of the Hoover Museum
Thank you for letting us come to the Hoover Museum and first off thanks to the tour guides and the rangers. I thought that the school house was cool because the room was so tiny, and how the desks were. I thought that was cool. I thought on how the blacksmith machine looked, and I thought that was cool because it’s way different since it’s now. The meeting house was awesome because on one side there are girls and on the other there are boys. I think that would also stink, like if you wanted to sit by your dad. I liked Hoover’s birth house and how there was only one room, well two rooms and that’s where the 5 of them slept. I thought that the museum really stood out, I felt bad for those people who starved to death and you could start to count a lot of the kids’ ribs.
The movie was really amazing, I liked the movie and how it turned out to be a timeline movie.
The grave site was spectacular; I liked walking up the hill with Christa. Hoover’s grave was dazzling!
The Hoover Museum was a dazzling experience. Thanks for letting me enjoy it. Thanks to the tour guides who taught me a lot and all their knowledge is amazing!

MacKenzie

Cheyanne, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Dear Personnel of the Hoover Museum,

Thank you for showing us the school house. It’s very tiny. The Hoover birthplace was very small compared to what I thought it would be. The blacksmith shop was cool, It makes me think of an old western place. The meeting house or church was cool and the cry room is called the mother’s room in our church. I felt very holy there at the church. I felt lucky that I got to see the grave site of Hoover and his wife. There were cool gadgets at the gift shop. I actually thought the movie was pretty boring –same with the museum.

From,
Cheyanne

Hannah, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Dear Personnel of the Hoover Museum,

Thank you so much for guiding us on our field trip! My favorite parts were the school house, Hoover’s birthplace, the meeting house, and especially the museum. Thank you so much for giving us tours Nancy and director. There are lots of cool things I’ve learned but here’s my favorite. That Hoover started the school lunch program, and that he liked to fish, I enjoyed going there!

Hannah

P.S. I liked everything in the gift shop!

Dylan, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you so much for the tour. My favorite part was the Goddess of Life. I want to visit the Hoover Museum again sometime and show my parents all the cool things.

My second favorite was his birthplace. It was cool how his mom made the carpet out of old clothes. It was also cool how they had to wash their clothes by scraping them on this things. (Washboard)
Your visitor,
Dylan

Jacob, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for our tour and letting us go in Herbert Hoover’s house. And when we got to go into the school house. And when we got to go in the Blacksmith’s shop.

I have a lot of favorite parts. My most favorite part was when we got to go in Bert’s house. And then the gift shop.
Your visitor,
Jacob

Cameryn, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for letting us come to the Museum. I thought it was cool and fun. It was really cool when I saw the graves.

My favorite part of the tour was the house. I thought that was amazing to be in an old president’s house! Their kitchen was awesome.

The man that was giving us our tour of the Museum was slow. We were trying to follow along and he was just reading too much!
Your visitor,
Cameryn

Connor, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for the tour of the museum and thank you for the tour of Hoover’s house, school, church, and blacksmith shop.

My favorite part of the tour was Hoover’s grave and Hoover’s house.
Your visitor,
Connor

Cydney, Frances Marion Intermediate May 11, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Dear Museum Staff,
Thank you for showing us West Branch. I thought it was cool.

My favorite part was when the Ranger showed us Herbert Hoover’s house. It was cool. I have a lot of people in my family. So that house would not work for us.
Your visitor,
Cydney

Mick, Frances Marion Intermediate May 12, 2010 at 9:19 am

Dear Personnel of the Hoover Museum,
I thought Hoover’s birthplace was awesome. I had never seen that type of rug throughout a whole house before. I could not imagine myself going to school in a one room schoolhouse. It was interesting seeing how people went to school back then. I thought the meeting house was interesting because they could shut the partitions and separate the men and the women.
Mick

Trey, Frances Marion Intermediate May 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

Dear Herbert Hoover Library,
I really liked the tour. The best part that I liked was the birth house, schoolhouse, Meeting House, and the Blacksmith shop. I also think that it’s amazing that the birth house is still standing! The Blacksmith Shop was really cool because it showed us how to bend metal. So thank you for the tour.
Trey

Skyla, Frances Marion Intermediate May 12, 2010 at 9:25 am

My favorite thing was…
1. Seeing the grave site from the house. That was really pretty.
2. I liked all of it. You were all a lot of help and I learned a whole lot.
Another thing I liked
1. Herbert Hoover’s house.
2. Did you know he was born on my birthday? I think that is cool!!
FINALLY — THANK YOU
P.S. I’ll be back this summer so my brother can see your museum. Loved the sites.
From: Skyla

Students from Twin Cedar Elementary May 17, 2010 at 9:16 am

I liked seeing his grave site. – Tracy
I liked seeing the expensive blue and white vases. – Iobe I liked seeing the birthplace. Thanks, Kylee I liked seeing the Meeting House. Thanks, Devin

Emily, Kenwood Elementary May 17, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for the visit to the Herbert Hoover Museum. But I did really like the bus ride on the way back really because my legs hurt. But what I thought was best part was outside also. What I learned was Herbert Hoover was a president. I just thought that he was a famous person. I thought it was cool that five people lived in the small house, including Herbert Hoover. I also liked the school house.
And again thanks for having us on the trip
Emily

Garet – Madison June 17, 2010 at 9:27 am

Thank you, Adam, for touring us. I had fun at Hoover’s house and the school house.
From: Garet

Kailey – Madison June 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

Thank you, Adam, for touring us. It was fun going in Mr. Hoover’s little house. It was fun!! The best part was the school house. Mr. Quiby loved the trip.
Your Friend, Kailey

Caitlynn – Madison June 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

Thank you for giving us a tour. It really meant a lot to us!

Justin – Madison June 17, 2010 at 9:39 am

Thank you for showing us around the Herbert (Bert) Hoover birth place.
Sincerely, Your Friend, Justin

Lexi – Madison June 17, 2010 at 10:06 am

Thank you for showing the kids my home.
Lexi writing for Herbert Hoover

Mallory- Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:01 am

Thank you for a really good field trip on Friday.
Three things I learned was that Herbert died in 1964 and was 90 when he died. Herbert had two boys and his wife’s name was Lou. He died 20 years after her.
My favorite part was seeing Herbert’s house where he grew up.

Cole- Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:05 am

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it very much. I learned that his parents were both dead when he was ten. I also learned he was called The Humanitarian.
I learned he worked in a blacksmith shop for awhile.
My favorite part was the blacksmith shop when he bent metal.

Sierra- Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thank you for letting us come. Thank you for the tours and the prairie walk.
I learned that he was called The Great Humanitarian.
I learned that his Mom died when he was four. I learned his Dad was a blacksmith.
My favorite part was when we went to the blacksmith.

Avery – Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:11 am

Thank you for making my field trip fun and special. Thank you for wanting to be with us and not being mean and all that. Thank you for making my day an awsome day.
I also learned a lot on my field trip. I’m just going to tell you three, though. I learned he was the 31st pres., was born in a small house, and lived in West Branch, Iowa.
My favorite part was the blacksmith shop. It was cool the way he could make it and cool it fast.

Erin – Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:16 am

Thank you for spending your time on us. I didn’t know Herbert did anything before he was president. I can’t believe he was orphaned when he was only ten. I also didn’t know you had his actual houses, barns, and more.
My favorite part was the outside tour. It was cool! The prairie walk got our feet all wet and we couldn’t take our shoes off. The museum and gift shop was cool, too.

Maleah – Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:20 am

Thank you very much for showing our class the museum, and for teaching us about Herbert Hoover.
I learned lots of great things about both Herbert Hoover and the war. Here are three of the many facts I learned about Herbert Hoover.
Fact #1: Herbert Hoover was sent off at the age of eleven with a small bag, a chicken, and 2 dimes.
Fact #2: Herbert Hoover was known as “The Great Humanitarian”.
Fact #3: Herbert Hoover was the father of two children.
My favorite part was when we got to see his house and the blacksmith shop.

Dante – Keota June 17, 2010 at 11:26 am

Thank you for the great time I had and the things you taught me. I would like to give a special thanks to the Ranger that took us around the outside tour. I would also like to thank the inside tour guide and the blacksmith.
I learned that Bert was a humanitarian. He was an orphan after his parents died at the age of ten and went to an orphanage. He had to ride on a train all alone with only a cooked chicken and some money sewn into his jacket. I also learned that he was the 31st President of the United States.
My favorite part was when the blacksmith bent metal and shaped it. It was really cool! My second favorite part was the prairie walk. I slid and fell a couple of times from the wet grass. I had an awsome time there and hope I can come again.

Jones Shoes February 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Good post… Just killing some time browsing searches and found your post. Good looking blog. I’ll have to bookmark the blog to come back and see what’s new.