Preston 4th Graders Write about their Field Trip!

by on May 12, 2010

I learned that the Library told many things about Herbert Hoover. I found out that Mr. Hoover met his wife at college. She went with him to China while he managed a mine for a big company.

While in the Library, I liked looking at pictures of Mr. Hoover’s presidency. I also liked that Herbert Hoover helped people in all countries with food when they were starving. Seeing things that the Hoovers used was also interesting.

My favorite thing was seeing the cabin where they vacationed. The picture of him in fishing gear and fishing was good.

Yours truly,

Preston Elementary 4th Grader

Grace

Comments

Wyatt, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Dear Gaylen,
Thank you for being our guide. I learned that Herbert Hoover was the middle child in his family, and that he led the Humanitarian aid. I didn’t know that Herbert was a Quaker. My favorite thing was that he kept fishing as he got older. I liked that he went out across the ocean a lot, and I liked the quilt from Peru. I liked all the different kinds of guns he got. Thank you for being our tour guide.

Wyatt

Payton, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I learned that they made cartoons that said bad things about Hoover. I also learned he liked fishing and he wasn’t old enough to mine. I liked the flour sacks and the world map of all the places he gave food to. I also liked the room with all the famous people in that time. My favorite thing was when you showed us all of their gifts. Thank you.
Payton

Kory, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:39 pm

I learned that the blanket was 2,000 years old. I learned that the people used radios. I like the Chinese pots. I learned these pots were old. I liked the pictures. I liked the dresses they used. My favorite thing is the quilt.
Kory

Michael, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:41 pm

I learned that Herbert Hoover gave people food. I also learned he liked to fish and he had two kids. I liked that he helped people. I also liked that he ran for president and his wife collected guns. My favorite was all of the places he fed food to people. Thank you for letting us come.
Michael

Craig, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for showing us around. I liked when you told us about the wheat bags. I also liked the quilt that was over 2,000 years old, and the vases. I learned about the vases that they were collecting. I also learned they went to a cabin for vacation. My favorite was the vases.
From Craig

Cambrie, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Thank you for being our guide. One thing I learned was Herbert Hoover liked to fish. I also learned that Lou Henry started Girl Scouts. One thing I liked was the potato sacks. I also learned that he collected elephants. I liked the dresses Lou Henry had. I also liked seeing the Child’s Bill of Rights on the wall. My favorite part was the little cabin with the squirrel on top.
Cambrie

Keegan, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I learned that Herbert Hoover was part of a brand new college. Also I learned that Herbert Hoover was an orphan. I learned that Herbert Hoover was blamed for the Great Depression. I liked it when you showed us some of the weapons that Lou Henry Hoover had. I also liked it when you showed us about the burial blanket. My favorite was the weapons you showed us. Thank you for giving us the tour of the museum.
Your friend,
Keegan

Hailey, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thank you for giving us a tour of the Herbert Hoover Museum. My favorite part was when you talked about Lou Henry Hoover. I learned she started Girl Scouts. I also learned that they received a lot of things and one of those things was a 2,000 year old rug. I liked it when you talked about his childhood and wilderness years. I also liked it when you talked about him meeting Lou Henry. Thank you again.

Hailey

Brady, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Thank you for showing us the museum. I liked the carpet because it was 2,000 years old and still good. I also liked the shelf that Herbert Hoover’s dad made because I have never seen a shelf that big made by hand. And I also liked the old clock because I have never seen a clock that big. And my favorite thing was the statue of him fishing. I learned that Herbert Hoover helped when the stock market crashed. I also learned that he went to his uncles after his mom and dad died. I also learned that his blacksmith shop was right across from his house. One more time thank you very much.
Brady

Cole, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thank you f or letting me come to the Museum. I enjoyed it. I learned that Herbert Hoover’s dad was a blacksmith. I learned that Herbert Hoover lived to be 90 years old. I learned that he liked fishing. I liked seeing the exhibit on World War I in Hoover’s Attic. I liked seeing how he helped starving people. I liked seeing Herbert Hoover during the Chinese Rebellion. My favorite thing was the World War I exhibit because it was cool.
Cole

Conner, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I learned that Herbert Hoover tried to be reelected to the office. I liked the Great Depression section of the day. I also liked the Roaring 20s section, how all the new inventions looked. I liked the selection of Lou’s guns. My favorite thing was the Paracas Mantle. Thank you for letting me come.
Conner

Michaela, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Thank you so much for showing us around. I really enjoyed seeing Herbert Hoover’s house. I liked seeing the soldier’s outfits. I also like seeing Herbert’s house in the picture. I learned that there was a lot of starvation going on. I learned that people who were Chinese wore big dresses. I also learned that Herbert collected a lot of stuff. My favorite thing to see was the soldier’s outfits because it was really interesting to see. Thanks again.
Michaela

Grace, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Thank you for the tour of the Herbert Hoover Museum. One thing I learned was that he was a Quaker. The second thing I learned was the name of Bert’s wife. The third thing I learned was that they could make flour sacks look so pretty. One of the things I liked was that he fed people that needed it during the Great Depression and after the wars. The third think I liked was his elephant collection because I think that elephants are cool mammals. My favorite thing was Lou Henry’s pottery collections from all around the world.
Grace

Colton, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Thanks for the tour of the Herbert Hoover center. I liked the part where you told us about the Roaring 20s. I also liked when you told us about when he took wheat over to Europe and when you told us the quilt was 2,000 years old. I learned that he helped a lot of kids survive. I also learned that he was a miner, also learned that he lived in China for a little while. I liked those because they were exciting. My favorite was when he took wheat to Belgium because I liked to see the sacks they sent back.
Colton

Hannah, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Thank you for letting us come. I learned that Herbert collected blue and white vases. I learned he died in his 90s. I learned a lot of people painted pictures for him. I liked the world map that had brass coins. I liked the antiques. I liked the pictures people gave him. My favorite thing was everything.
Hannah

Jaide, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I learned that Herbert Hoover married Lou Henry. I also learned that he was one of three kids. I learned that people gave gifts to him. I liked when Herbert gave food to children. I also liked Lou Henry because she was strong. I liked how Lou had a gun in China. My favorite was when Herbert gave food to children. Thank you for letting me come.
Jaide

Avery, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I learned that Herbert Hoover’s dad was a blacksmith and worked next door. I learned that he lived in England. I also learned that he went to Stanford University. I liked the burial blanket from Peru that was 2,000 years old. I also liked the fishing exhibit. I also liked the grave site. My favorite was the fishing exhibit because I like fishing.
Avery

Kennedy, Preston Elementary May 12, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Thank you for being our guide. You were good. Herbert Hoover was a busy man. I learned that he lends wheat and other stuff like meat to the hungry children. That he was very old and kept fishing. I liked the 2,000 year old quilt and I liked the dress especially the wedding one. I liked the world map. My favorite things are the dress and the stick as a fishing pole.
Kennedy

Jadie, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:10 am

Thank you for telling us about Herbert Hoover. I learned that Herbert was Quaker. I also learned that Lou Henry Hoover led the Girl Scouts and the blanket was 2,000 years old. I liked the blanket, and when we stood around the globe, and when we went to the Australian part. My favorite was the 2,000 year old blanket.
Jadie

Logan, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:12 am

Thank you for letting us come. Here are 3 things I liked. Seeing what his attic looked like. The living room that looked just like his. And his collection of pottery. Here are 3 things I learned. That he was an orphan. That he gave food to over 1 million starving kids. The last thing is the Roaring 20s. exhibit. And my favorite thing is looking at the whole thing.
Logan

Kelsey, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:16 am

It was an awesome trip. I learned about Herbert Hoover’s nickname “Bert.” I learned about his kids and wife and another thing I learned was about the attic. The three things I liked were the world map, the clothes, and Lou starting the Girl Scouts. I liked all of that because it is very cool and I learned something. My favorite thing was the world map because it tells you a lot and it looks cool.
Kelsey

Billy, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:20 am

Three things I learned were about the wheat sacks. The next thing I learned was why Hoover was blamed for the Great Depression. Another thing I learned was how Lou Henry and Bert met.

Three things I liked was when we saw the wall full of Roaring Twenties stuff. The next thing I liked was when we had to make a circle around the world map because I could see the whole world. The last thing I learned was when we got to see the Peru blanket. My favorite thing was at the end when we saw Bert, old and young, fishing.
Billy

Madison, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:24 am

I learned that Herbert Hoover’s name was Bert, I thought Herbert was buried by himself but his wife, Lou, is next to him. Herbert was a miner.
The map of the world on the floor was the best. I liked to look at the two pictures of him at his desk and the flour sacks were neat to look at due to part of history.
The major thing I liked was learning that Lou started Girl Scouts.
Thanks again, I really enjoyed the visit.
Madison

Cameron, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:27 am

I learned that Herbert Hoover liked fishing. I learned that Herbert Hoover had two boys. I learned that Herbert Hoover married Lou Henry. I learned that Lou died before Herbert Hoover. I liked the guns that Lou had. I liked the picture of Herbert Hoover. My favorite thing was the guns because they looked so cool.
Thank you for the tour.
Cameron

Keily, Preston Elementary May 13, 2010 at 9:32 am

Thank you for letting us come. I learned that Herbert Hoover was an orphan. He was still good at stuff he didn’t do at home. I liked that he helped more than 1,000 people in the United States. He did a good job. I liked that he did everything to support his family. I liked that he tried his best to do anything. I learned that he sent 4 words (Will you marry me?) to Lou Henry and Lou Henry said one word (yes). I learned how Herbert Hoover was a very active kid. My favorite was how Herbert Hoover helped more than one thousand people in the United States. Thank you for letting us come. Thank you.
Keily

Bill Pontarelli, Docent May 13, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I enjoyed my time with Wickham Elem. Grades 3 and 4. Thanks for participating. I learn a lot from students. You guys seem to be way ahead for your age. I was especially surprised so many knew others who lost their parents young like Mr. Hoover. Thank you for answering the other questions as well. I was really impressed that you were keeping up interest at the end of a long day, after you were rained upon. Hope to see you again. Bill, docent

John, Docent at the Hoover Museum May 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm

A nice group of 4th graders. They were well prepared having seen the video and school social studies. They seemed very interested in the items in the display cases.

Mae, Docent at the Hoover Museum May 24, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Terrific group! Paid attention! Asked great questions!