Laura Ingalls Wilder

by on June 16, 2010

RWL-228_web

The Hoover Presidential Library holds the papers of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her daughter Rose Wilder Lane. Laura and Rose worked together to shape Laura’s memories into books. Over the course of more than a dozen years — from the writing of Little House in the Big Woods in the early 1930s to the publication of These Happy Golden Years in 1943 — Laura and Rose captured the essence of life in frontier America in nine classic volumes. The extraordinary literary partnership between mother and daughter continues to unfold for the many teachers and their students who travel to the Hoover Library in West Branch, Iowa. Click here for lesson plans on Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Comments

Cooper – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:33 am

I liked going to the Hoover Library. My favorite thing was going into the stacks. I also liked when we figured if it was an artifact or replica.

Claire – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

Thank you so much for letting us have a sneak peek at the stacks. It was very interesting knowing that there were that many important documents in a small town like West Branch. Hearing about the stories about Laura and Rose sending the stories back and forth were my favorite part though.
Again, thank you so much for letting us hear and see all of those important documents.
Sincerely, Claire

Hunter – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

Thank you for showing us the archives. I really liked all the boxes. Thank you for letting us in there.
From: Hunter

Sydny – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:44 am

Thank you for showing us around the Hoover Library. My favorite part was when we got to see Laura Ingalls Wilder’s real handwriting. That was really cool!
Sincerely, Sydny

Sam – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:51 am

Thank you very much for showing us the Laura Ingalls Wilder documents. My favorite part was the “Stacks”.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely, Sam

Duncan – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:53 am

Thank you for showing us the archives. I learned that there are, I think, 8 million documents. I also liked the tools.
Sincerely, Duncan

Emily – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 11:54 am

I had a wonderful time at the Hoover Library. I hope to come back soon.
Sincerely, Emily

Morgan – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thank you so much for giving us a tour of the Herbert Hoover Library Archives. It was very cool to get to see the actual first draft of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s books. I wish every kid could see this amazing sight.

Claire – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Thank you for showing us the Hoover Library. It was fascinating to see the books she wrote in. My favorite was playing the game.
Sincerely, Claire

Gina – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Thank you so much for showing us how to sort and categorize pictures, it was very informational! When we looked at Laura Ingalls Wilder files (they must be very precious) I was honored that we could see them. All together, it was very fun and hilarious. When you told us that there was a recipe for an atomic bomb, that was the funniest.
Sincerely, Gina

Jake – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Thank you for telling us about Laura Ingalls Wilder and the Stacks. It was really fun. My favorite part was going into the Stacks.
Sincerely, Jake

Daphne – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Looking at all the artifacts was fun. I remember looking at the chalkboard, and it was cool!

Lindsey – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:22 pm

It was very interesting to learn about the back room where you keep the books/papers.
Thanks, Lindsey

Jordan – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:25 pm

All the stuff you showed us at the Hoover Library was really fascinating. I learned so much stuff like there was a recipe for an atomic bomb. I also liked the original writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s book, “The First Four Years”. I also liked all the artifacts and replicas.
Sincerely, Jordan

Student – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for showing us around. I loved it.
5th Grade Student

Nicholas – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Thank you for showing us the secret room, because it was cool. I liked all the tools and stuff at the table.
From, Nicholas

Ashley – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Thanks a lot. It was so cool to go in that private/cold room. I also appreciate you teaching me more about pioneer times. I never knew half of the stuff about the Ingalls.
Thanks a lot, Ashley

Kaylee – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Thanks a lot for talking to us about the Ingalls family. It was very fascinating! Thanks a bunch!
Kaylee

Nick – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I loved the whole thing, but my favorite part was going in the Stacks.
Sincerely, Nick

Amanda – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:39 pm

The “Stacks” that you showed us were cool! Remember when you said there were 10,000 boxes! 8,000,000 PAPERS, so FASCINATING!
From: Amanda

Katie – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I had an exciting time at the Hoover Library. There are” soo” many things to learn there. It was “soo” amazing to see the original copy of The First Four Years. My favorite part was telling the artifacts from the replicas.
Sincerely, Katie

Kayla – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for showing us the Stacks and giving a lot of fun, interesting, logical information. I was very interested in putting the pictures in different piles. My FAVORITE part was sorting the artifacts from the replicas.
Sincerely, Kayla

Haley – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Thank you for the presentation. It was really cool when we got to see the first actual script of one of the books Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote. I would love to go again.
From: Haley

Paige – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Thank you for showing us all the files that only scientists see. It was fun trying to figure out what are artifacts and replicas. You taught me a lot about the Ingalls family, too!
Thanks again, Paige

Cole – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Thank you for showing us the Laura Ingalls Wilder note pad. The artifacts were awsome and I can’t believe that they had over 8,000,000 pieces of paper.
Sincerely, Cole

Leah – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Thank you for letting us go in the secret/special room. That was really cool! It was fun talking about Laura and what happened in her life! It was cool that only people from West Branch who have been in 5th grade have been in there!
Sincerely, Leah

Cale – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for showing us around the Hoover Library. There were a lot of fascinating things there. My favorite part of the trip was when we saw Laura’s notebook.
Cale

Amber – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I enjoyed all the artifacts and replicas at the “Hoover Library”. My favorite was the Archives. Somewhere from the 1700s, I think.
Sincerely, Amber

Eric – West Branch June 17, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I enjoyed the artifacts. The books were nice and really cool. I expected it to be cooler in the archives.
From, Eric

Garrett – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:25 am

I enjoyed the tour of the transcripts of Laura Ingalls Wilder books. I had fun. I really want to do it again.
Sincerely, Garrett

Colton – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:27 am

Thank you for taking us to the Hoover Library. It was fun.
From, Colton

Molly – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:28 am

Thanks for informing us about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I had a lot of fun going into that cold room that was ‘soo” cool.
Thanks again, Molly

Chris – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

Thank you for taking time off work just for taking us for a tour. I never knew Laura hit a bear. I also learned more, but I won’t write them all.
From, Chris

Faith – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:31 am

Hey, thanks for everything. The tour was amazing. It looked fun to live back then.
Love, Faith

Cole – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:32 am

Thank you for letting us look around. Also, thank you for letting us learn about the Hoover Library.
From, Cole

Tara – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:33 am

Thank you so much for talking to us about the Ingalls family. I found it interesting that they stuck the curling iron over a candle to heat it.
Sincerely, Tara

Dan – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:35 am

Thank you for showing us boxes full of information. Plus, I thought the artifacts were cool. That was funny when Laura smacked a bear.
Sincerely, Dan

Abby – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:36 am

Thanks so much for talking to us about Laura Ingalls Wilder. I really liked when you showed us around the cold room. I thought it was really neat. Thanks a bunch!
From, Abby

Dalton – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:51 am

Thank you for (letting us) come to the Hoover Library. I enjoyed going into the archives room. That was my favorite part, learning about the Stacks!
Sincerely, Dalton

Brandon – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:53 am

Thank you for letting us go into the Stack Room. I like how we learned how the Stacks were kept at 63 Deg. F.
Sincerely, Brandon

DaLana – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 9:55 am

I really enjoyed our special tour in the Hoover Library. I loved getting to see the Stacks. My favorite part was getting to guess which items were replicas or artifacts. Thanks for letting us come!
Sincerely, DaLana

Anna – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 10:01 am

Thanks for letting us go in the archives. I really liked it because no one else got to go in there. My favorite part was looking at Laura’s handwriting. It’s weird looking at writing and then reading the books. Thank you very much!
Sincerely, Anna

Emily – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 10:03 am

Thank you for teaching us about the Ingalls family. It was a lot of fun. My favorite part (was) when you showed us the pictures. It was very interesting that we got to see what she looked like.
Sincerely, Emily

Laurie – West Branch June 18, 2010 at 10:20 am

Thank you for letting us visit the museum. I enjoyed every part of it, but my most favorite was learning about the Stacks. Again, thank you so much.
Sincerely, Laurie