Fall School Tours!

by on September 3, 2010

Hoover-Presidential-Library-in-the-fall_web

We are counting down the days until the Hoover Presidential Library will be overrun with 4th, 5th & 6th graders happy to be out of school for a day and looking for adventure! What better place than a Presidential Library to explore when looking for stories about foreign travels,  narrow escapes, humanitarian efforts, and presidential policies. Add some sunshine, a day out with friends, lunch in the picnic shelter, a walk through the tall grass prairie and you have memories that will last a lifetime.  Click here for student activities to do before and after your field trip.

Comments

Lauren, Docent at Hoover Library September 16, 2010 at 11:39 am

Lauren gave the 1st tour of the fall season to 4th graders from Polk Elementary in Cedar Rapids and this is a question they asked: “How old would Mr. Hoover be if he was living today? Answer — 136 years old!

Sue, Docent at the Hoover Museum September 17, 2010 at 3:21 pm

While I was giving a tour today to 6th graders from Union Middle School I was asked if the painting of the ship delivering bags of flour was the Titanic. The painting is hanging in the Belgian Relief Gallery. I’m writing the comment in hopes of finding an answer.
Sue, Docent

Mary Evans September 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Hello Union Middle School 6th graders! I didn’t know the answer to your question about the Titanic so I went to the museum curator who is responsible for the exhibits. He knew the answer! “In order to assist our soldiers during World War I, the United States Food Administration was created to urge citizens to buy less, serve smaller portions, and reduce waste at home and in their communities. Hoover headed this massive program and promoted directives to ‘Save the Wheat.’ Artists were invited to create paintings illustrating phrases from Hoover’s speech titled ‘Food Control, A War Measure,’ the paintings carried the message of the Food Administration as they traveled throughout the United States in 1918.” The painting the student referred to was created by Herbert Pullinger in 1918. Sorry, but it’s not a painting of the Titanic.

Phyllis, Docent at the Hoover Museum September 27, 2010 at 5:06 pm

The 5th grade students from Lincoln Elementary wanted to know where Jesse and Hulda Hoover were buried. (They were Herbert Hoover’s parents.)

Mary Evans September 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm

What an interesting question. I had to do my research on this one to locate the answer. 1st Sarah and I drove to the West Branch “Friends Village Cemetery” and took a photo of the plaque commemorating the original cemetery. 2nd we continued driving to the West Branch Municipal Cemetery where we found Jesse’s and Hulda’s gravestones. [You can see the photos I took on the blog's photo page.] I think that Jesse Clark Hoover was the first to be buried in the “New Cemetery.” There are older head stones but they had been moved from the “Old Cemetery.”

Phyllis, Docent at the Hoover Museum September 27, 2010 at 5:36 pm

A 5th grader from Lincoln Elementary asked Phyllis a question she had never been asked before in her 22 years of being a docent: Where can someone buy a “Hoover Ball?”

Mary Evans September 27, 2010 at 5:46 pm

I had to ask Kathy for help on answering this question because her son plays in the Hoover Ball tournament held every year on the grounds of the Hoover Presidential Library. You can buy a “Hoover Ball” by writing to the Hoover Presidential Library Association. You can order a 4 lb. (black) or 6 lb. (red) with the words “Hoover Ball” written on it. The Association charges $60 for them, which covers shipping charges because they come from Texas.

Phyllis, Docent at the Hoover Museum October 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm

The students were very intrigued with the famine bread.

Phyllis, Docent at the Hoover Museum October 1, 2010 at 3:25 pm

There was a lot of curiosity about the appliances in the 1920s gallery — especially the washing machine and how it worked. They also asked if the small electric appliances had ever been used.

Mary Evans October 1, 2010 at 3:34 pm

I, too, like looking at the appliances used in the 1920s because my mother used a wringer washing machine when I was a child. You had to be very careful not to get your fingers caught in the wringer.

Bill Pontarelli, docent October 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I had a great time with the Van Buren 4th graders. They were a very active curious bunch. I especially like hearing that Michael’s Dad’s dog is taller than he when the dog stands up. As big as King Tut, Mister Hoover’s dog.

Nancy, Docent at Hoover Library October 14, 2010 at 3:45 pm

This group was the most inquisitive I’ve ever seen. They closely examined the display cases, photos and objects and asked many questions:”What were the Chinese beaded objects?” “Were the flour sacks really valuable since they were under glass?” “What were the small weights in the Australian exhibit for?” “What caused the Great Depression.”

Erica October 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

We all had a great time at the Hoover Museum, the prairie walk, and all of the other things we did.

Thank you for taking your own time to show us around on our field trip.

I enjoyed looking through the house and through the church.
Erica

Nick October 18, 2010 at 11:22 am

Thank you for teaching us about Herbert Hoover. My favorite part was when we watched the movie about war. But I especially liked when we went on the prairie walk.
Your friend,
Nick

Maggie October 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

I would like to thank you for showing us the museum. It was all fun but I liked the graveyard the best. I learned that Bert & Lou Hoover’s grave are made of a pretty marble. Their grave lies on the ground. I love how the side marbles are so cold. Thank you again.
Your friend,
Maggie

Vada October 18, 2010 at 11:23 am

The trip was fun, but I think I sprained my leg there but it was still fun! I just wanted to say thank you cause it was fun! My favorite part was when we visited the graveyard. I hope me and my family can come back.
Vada

Ian October 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

Thank you for the tour of the Hoover museum. It was a lot of fun! Something I learned was that Hoover’s house had two rooms.
Ian

Sydney October 18, 2010 at 11:24 am

I really enjoyed the Herbert Hoover Museum! It was so interesting! I learned a lot! Like Herbert Hoover’s middle name Clark! Or something like that…Anyway, I really loved it! You were great rangers!
Sydney

Evelyn October 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

Thank you for a wonderful time. My favorite was the library. It was the best day ever.
Evelyn

Collin October 18, 2010 at 11:25 am

Thanks a lot for showing us about Herbert Hoover. I liked it a lot when you showed us Herbert’s birthplace. I also liked the museum and the statue of the Goddess of Light.
Collin

Makenzy October 18, 2010 at 11:26 am

Thanks for showing us the Herbert Hoover Museum. My favorite part was the cottage. The most thing I loved was the movie.
Makenzy

Phyllis, Hoover Museum Docent October 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Did the Hoover children have any pets?
Phyllis, Docent

Mary Evans October 18, 2010 at 5:22 pm

In the years Mr. Hoover was Food Administrator (1917-19) he wrote a friend and described his family this way: “We have in our family 2 small boys, 1 dog, 2 cats, 11 goldfish, 1 canary, 3 frogs, 14 chickens, 2 turtles, and 1 rabbit.” Take a look in the Photograph Gallery to see a picture of Mr. Hoover and his dog named King Tut.

Gaylen, Hoover Museum Docent October 25, 2010 at 1:22 pm

The teacher asked if “young Margaret” is the granddaughter of Herbert Jr. or Allan?
Gaylen, Docent at Hoover Museum

Sue, 4th Grade Teacher from Grant Elem. October 25, 2010 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for arranging everything for our trip to the Museum. The Guides and Rangers were wonderful and very informative! A big thank you for allowing students to come free of charge. It is a field trip that every student should experience! A great way to experience history. :)
Sue, 4th grade teacher from Grant Elem.

Mary Evans October 25, 2010 at 6:07 pm

“Young Margaret” is the granddaughter of Allan Hoover and the daughter of Andrew (Andy) Hoover.

Kathy from Hoover Library October 27, 2010 at 10:02 am

Students from Van Allen Elementary in North Liberty want to know if we have Herbert Hoover’s wedding ring?
Kathy, Volunteer Coordinator

Dick, Docent at Hoover Library October 27, 2010 at 10:10 am

When Hoover as a boy was fishing near West Branch–
What kind of fish did he catch?
How big were they?
How many did he catch?
Dick, Docent for Hoover Library

Mary Evans October 27, 2010 at 10:21 am

I asked the Registrar and Jenny said, “No, we do not have Hoover’s wedding ring.”

Ashby, Rivermont Collegiate in Bettendorf November 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm

THANK YOU!
Dear Docent,
Thank you so much for all of the information you gave us yesterday on our field trip. We really learned new things about Hoover and his life as a child, President, and humanitarian. Thanks again!
Mrs. Ashby and the 4th grade class

Nate – student November 16, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Dear Hoover Museum Staff,
Thank you very much for the awsome tour. I really enjoyed looking at Lou Henry’s gun.
Nate

Delaney – student November 16, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Thank you!
Thank you so much for showing my class around. My favorite thing was the blacksmith. I learned so much and I had so much fun. I come to the museum every summer with my grandma, but I had more fun when I came this time. When I saw the grave site I was amazed.
Delaney

Leigh – student November 16, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for letting fifth graders at Hoover School come to the museum. I loved the blacksmith part. That was so cool! I also liked the movie. It was a little cold but it was fun. Thanks again.
Sincerely, Leigh