Seal of the President of the United States

by on September 8, 2010

Front-doors-to-Hoover-Presidential-Library_web

That’s me taking a photo of the front doors to the Hoover Presidential Library! Lucky us! We  are the only presidential library to have the presidential seal etched on their door. Famous people have walked through our front doors like presidents Harry S. Truman, Richard Nixon, Dwight Eisenhower, LBJ, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan! WOW! But that’s not all – Noble Peace Prize winner Norman Borlaug who won the prize for “The Green Revolution;” David McCullough twice a Pulitzer Prize winner for history; and coach Woody Hayes of Ohio State football fame they all visited the Hoover Presidential Library. I wonder who will walk through these doors next?!

Comments

Kathy, Volunteer Coordinator September 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

As he was walking through these doors a 6th grade students from Guthrie Center said, “I like this place already!”

Kathy, Volunteer Coordinator September 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

BT Cruisers is a group of adults from all across the United States who camp together twice a year. Their fall gathering this year brought them to Iowa!

When looking at the pieces of shell art in the Attic exhibit, a man told us the servicemen in Vietnam also created shell art items and “you could get them everywhere!”
Kathy

Dick, Docent at Hoover Library October 1, 2010 at 3:29 pm

The 2 groups from Bettendorf both were outstanding! They were very well behaved. Much more importantly, they were very interested. They were attentive and asked many good questions. Teachers both were extremely helpful. Great classes!

Kathy from Hoover Library October 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm

While looking at the dresses in the “Attic” exhibit, a student asked if we have Lou’s wedding dress. I told her Lou did not wear a wedding dress; both she and Bert wore brown traveling suits at their wedding.

Mary Evans October 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Bert and Lou would start on their journey to China the day after their wedding. Both were very practical people and chose to wear traveling suits at their wedding because they would use them on their trip to China.

Mary Evans October 1, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Have a look in the Photograph Gallery to see a picture of Lou and Bert in their wedding attire.

Marilyn, Docent at the Hoover Museum October 7, 2010 at 5:01 pm

While giving a tour to the USS Edmonds Reunion Group of WWII one gentleman said while growing up in Oklahoma during the Depression when they ate beans they called them “Hoover Strawberries.”

Lauren, Docent at Hoover Museum October 7, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Students wanted to know why Lou Henry Hoover’s wedding dress is not on display.

Kathy from Hoover Library October 7, 2010 at 5:08 pm

4th graders from Van Buren Elementary wanted to know if the Hoover sons were still alive? I answered no, but we still see Hoover grandchildren and great grandchildren quite often.

After the students left I looked at Hulda’s genealogy and found the dates: Herbert Jr. died in 1969 and Allan Hoover died in 1993.

Kathy from Hoover Library October 7, 2010 at 5:12 pm

The 4th grade students from VanBuren Elementary were curious about the 3-D topographical map in the Stanford area. Then one of the students noticed the “flat” drawing in the display rail, so we could see both the 2-D and 3-D versions! They also asked which one was Hoover in the picture of the Stanford surveying squad.

Mary Evans October 7, 2010 at 5:31 pm

I agree–it would be nice to have Lou Henry Hoover’s wedding dress–but it was never given to the Hoover Library. Maybe a relative still has it or maybe because it was a traveling suit she wore it out over the years. You may go to the Photograph Gallery and see a picture of Lou wearing her wedding dress!

Kathy October 9, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Upon entering the museum, one Blackhawk 5th grader from Burlington said, “Wow, this place is a lot bigger that I thought it would be!” The entire group was attentive and interested. I was sorry our tour had to be cut short.

Marilyn, Docent at the Hoover Museum October 18, 2010 at 11:57 am

When the students from All Saints School were looking at the large display of awards and gifts to Mr. Hoover in the Attic exhibit, one of the students noticed one from Poland and then read it out loud. I was very impressed to hear this student reading Polish!
Marilyn, Docent

Marilyn, Hoover Museum Docent October 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Near the end of my tour on Monday, October 17th, a 5th grade boy came up to me and said, referring to Hoover, “You know, I’m really starting to like him!” Marilyn, Docent

Lorraine – teacher November 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Dear Hoover Staff,
This has become a beloved 5th grade tradition. I’m always so thankful for your excellent tours that inspire my students.
Thanks again, Lorraine – Hoover Elementary

Rachel – student November 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Dear The Hoover Museum,
Outside, I liked the Quaker Meetinghouse. Inside, I liked the fishing statues.
Your friend, Rachel
ps I liked the Statue of Isis, too.

Mitchell – student November 10, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Dear Hoover Museum,
Thank you for showing me around the historic site in West Branch, Iowa. You (the tour guides) were very compasionite to all of our classes. Here is a picture of the gravesite.

Will – student November 10, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Dear Herbert Hoover Museum Staff,
Thank you for letting us come. I’m writing this with the pen I got there. I like looking at all the stuff, it was interesting. The Statue of Isis was scary.
from, Will

Drew November 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Dear Mary,
Thank you for touring us. I liked “Behind the Scenes.” I learned a lot about Herbert Hoover and I thought it was funny that he would turn his hearing aids off. Thank you for teaching us about artifacts.
Thanks,
Drew

Tom – student November 15, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for the tour of the museum. It was fun. Oh, and Lauren, Adam, thanks.
Sincerely, Tom

Ally – student November 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm

To: Staff at Museum
Thank you for a wonderful tour of the Herbert Hoovr Museum. I had a great time! I learned a lot from you! My favorite part was the grave site. It touched my heart!
From: Ally – a kid from Hoover

Claire – student November 15, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you so much for giving us a tour of the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library. I enjoyed getting to see some of the places that were important to Herbert Hoover. I also liked the gift shop. I didn’t know Herbert Hoover did so much!

- student November 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I live in West Branch and thanks for the tour.

Andy & Kim – students November 16, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Dear Museum/tour guides/staff,
Thank you for giving us a tour. I enjoyed it!
Andy & Kim

Hoover School – students November 16, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for taking us around the museum. I learned a lot about Herbert Hoover. I would love to go there again.
Hoover School

Sean – student November 16, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Dear Staff,
I had a great time and will surely come back. I thank Bert for following the Constitution better than our own government!
Sean

Heidi, Docent at Hoover Library January 13, 2011 at 5:02 pm

3rd grade students from Linn-Mar asked some good questions today!
Was Herbert Hoover on the radio a lot? (Spencer gave us the answer.) Many of Hoover’s major speeches and most of his major campaign speeches were on the radio. In both campaigns (1928 and 1932) he gave 6 to 8 major speeches over a period of about 3 months which would mean he was on the radio roughly once per week. While he was president he gave 4 or 5 major speeches per year which were also on the radio.

Where did the Chinese robes come from? (Kathy knew the answer to this question.) They were items Lou collected when the Hoovers were in China; that the robes were some of Lou’s “souvenirs.”

Bridget Donlan January 25, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Sixty-eight Linn-Mar LEO (Learning Enrichment Opportunities) students visited the Hoover Presidential Museum in January in participation of their studies on Presidents and Politics. Students have a special culminating project, a presidential Hall of Fame, where students impersonate past and present presidents and first ladies. We got to meet with two museum docents that portray Theodore Roosevelt and Mary Todd Lincoln and learn about the work that goes into their performances. Everyone loved the animation and excitement of President Roosevelt and we saw the prim and proper Mrs. Lincoln. We really appreciate the great experience!!
LEO Teacher

Kathy, Volunteer Coordinator March 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Friday, February 25, Joetta called back to the education department asking for an Elementary Student Packet. In talking with the mom asking for this, we learned about her 7 1/2 year old daughter who is very interested in the presidents. She recently did a report on John F. Kennedy and was planning to ask her teacher if she could read it to her class. This was not a homework assignment – she just thought it was important for her classmates to learn about JFK and to know who he was.
They have been to visit the Hoover Library many times, and have also attended several of our programs here. In one of their discussions about presidents, the mom told her daughter about Geraldine Ferraro running for vice president; the young historian replied that she didn’t realize a woman could run for that office. Her mom then mentioned Hillary Clinton and how she ran for president, but that was ended when Obama won the primary. This 7 1/2 year old replied, “I thought Hillary Clinton was our Secretary of State.”
Tomorrow they are having a “Presidents Party.” As one of the activities, the mom is going to use our web-game “Hoover Wore Many Hats” to create a “pin the hat on Herbert Hoover” game.
What an interesting young lady!
Kathy, Volunteer Coordinator