October at the National Historic Site

by on October 14, 2010

Hoover's-home-through-the-trees_web

Herbert Hoover wrote, “But I prefer to think of Iowa as I saw it through the eyes of a ten-year old boy…filled with the wonders of Iowa’s streams and woods, of the mystery of growing crops…days should be filled with adventure and great undertakings, with participation in good and comforting things.”

Comments

Jayahn October 14, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for showing me around the park. I liked learning about how Herbert Hoover and how he grew up. I learned that he was a Quaker, he lived in a two-room house and how his father was a blacksmith. Thank you for showing me the buildings he grew up in.
Jayahn, 4th grader

Karley October 14, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for guiding us around the park it was very nice of you. It was very fun and I had a great time. I would like to come back again. Everything was amazing, it was great for going for the first time.
Your friend,
Karley

Stephanies October 14, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for showing us around and teaching us about Herbert Hoover’s life. I loved the Hoover’s house and seeing the small room that five people slept in. Thank-you again.
Stephanies

Michael October 14, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Dear Rangers,
I liked the church the most. I would like to thank you for showing me the meeting place.
Michael

Chloe October 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Dear Rangers,
Thank you, I had a good time seeing the cottage, the blacksmith shop, and the school house. I wish I could come back. I liked the prairie and the graveyard.
Chloe

Conor October 14, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for showing us around the park. I liked the buildings you showed us. I also liked the statue of Isis.
Conor

Celaina October 18, 2010 at 11:17 am

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for the awesome trip! I really loved the statue of Isis! I understand that the reason she wears that veil over her face is because she is the Goddess of Life, and nobody knows the mysteries of life. I mean, life can be beautiful or ugly or maybe both! Thanks again.
Celaina

Borluang October 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for teaching us where Herbert Hoover lived. I liked the blacksmith shop. It was very big.
Borluang

Dylan October 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

My favorite was the blacksmith shop. Which one’s your favorite?
Dylan

Student from Van Buren October 18, 2010 at 11:19 am

Dear Rangers,
Thank-you for showing us the birthplace cottage where Herbert Hoover was born, the Quaker church where Herbert went to church and sat there patiently, the blacksmith shop where Herbert might have learned to finance money, and the school that was only one roomed, and kids from all ages went to school at.

Breanna October 18, 2010 at 11:20 am

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for showing and teaching us about Herbert Hoover’s life. I loved learning about the one-room schoolhouse. It was very interesting to learn about being a Quaker, and what they do at Quaker meetings. The blacksmith shop was so cool, seeing what they made back then. Thanks again for showing us around.
Breanna

Samuel October 18, 2010 at 11:21 am

Dear Rangers,
Thank you for showing us the cottage that he grew up in. I think that the sad iron was really sad. The school house was interesting because it had a stove in the middle of the room.
Samuel

Sam – student November 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for the two wonderful tours, and I was very glad that the blacksmith was there because it was very cool. I also liked seeing the two room house.
Sincerely, Sam

Lindsey – student November 16, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Thank you so much for letting Hoover School go there. I loved the blacksmith, it was so cool. I really liked Hoover’s house, it was so cool. I live in Iowa City and I will have my parents take me there. I LOVE YOU GRAVE SITE.
Your Visitor, Lindsey

Andrew – student November 16, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Hi, it’s Andrew. I thank the Herbert Hoover Museum. I liked the movie but my most favorite part of the tour was the blacksmith. it was so cool, so I think Herbert’s dad was so cool doing that all day. The house was cool, too.
Andrew

Grey – student November 16, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for giving us a tour of the museum. I really liked the memorial and the tour of the house, school, blacksmith, and Quakers Meeting Place. I thought his house was going to be bigger, but it wasn’t.
Sincerely, Grey

Erick – student November 16, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for teaching us a lot about Herbert Hoover. Something that I thought was really cool was that Herbert was a Quaker. I never knew that. I enjoyed going to the blacksmith’s. It’s cool how they make things.
From: Erick

T. J. – student November 16, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Dear Staff,
Thanks for taking us on a tour of Hoover’s house, his dad’s shop, the meetinghouse, and the school. I loved Hoover’s grave.
Sincerely, T. J.

Grant – student November 16, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Thank you for letting us look. I enjoyed seeing the school.
Grant

Autumn – student November 16, 2010 at 1:16 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for showing us the Herbert Hoover Museum. My favorite part was the blacksmith and Herbert Hoover’s house.
Autumn

Dylan – student November 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Dear Staff,
That was a cool field trip! I really liked the museum. The house looked very authentic, and I thought the blacksmith was very cool!
Dylan

Sydney – student November 16, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Dear Herbert Hoover Museum Staff,
Thank you for teaching us about Herbert Hoover. I learned a lot. I did not know he lived in such a small house. The blacksmith was the coolest. I liked it the best because he made the iron bend and the top of it was curled. Thank you for letting us come.
Have a nice day. Sydney

student November 16, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I really liked when I saw the blacksmith. That was so cool!
Student

student November 16, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Dear Blacksmith Guy,
That was Awsome what you did with the metal. I would hate to touch that, it must be hot. You’re awsome!! Go you Blacksmith Guy.
Sincerely, student

Miles – student November 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Dear Blacksmith,
You are so cool!! All the stuff you (make). Keep up the good work!!!!!
P. S. That was cool.
Sincerely, Miles

Calvin – student November 16, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Dear Staff,
Thank you for showing and teaching us more about Hoover. My favorite part was when we went to the blacksmith’s shop. It was really interesting! Thanks again.
Sincerely, Calvin

Cole – student November 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for giving us the tour. My favorite part was the blacksmith. You’ve inspired me to be a blacksmith when I grow up.
Your friend, Cole

student November 16, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Dear Nancy,
Thank you for the tour. It was very cool. My favorite thing was the blacksmith shop. It was awsome. I liked it because it was so cool and I liked how he pounded that iron into a swirl. You are Awsome!
student