BOOK TALK

by on October 27, 2010

Susan-creating_web

On October 20 & 21, 510 students and teachers came to the Hoover Presidential Library for a day of humanitarian efforts. Author/illustrator Susan L. Roth flew in from New York to talk about her book “Listen to the Wind: The Story of  Dr. Greg and Three Cups of Tea.” The book tells the story of Greg Mortenson’s first building project in Pakistan. Students came from 23 different school districts to hear  Susan speak and learn about Hoover’s and Mortenson’s humanitarian efforts: Hoover’s beginning in 1914 and extending throughout his life and Greg’s in present day Pakistan. It was a day full of humanitarian efforts. Stay tuned…I have lots more to tell!

Comments

Susan November 8, 2010 at 4:39 pm

It was SO WONDERFUL!!!! ALL!!! From beginning to end, and this is not at all ending. It’s the beginning of friendships and connections and ideas and projects. Thank you to you and to the friends, and the staff and the docents and the teachers and the librarians and to the children!!!!!! I had a lovely, interesting time. I’m so happy that you invited me.
Please stay in good contact, I shall also. I look forward to our next visit, in West Branch or New York or Egypt and/or any place in between. THANK YOU! with love, Susan

Jan Bohnsack November 8, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Thank you for a lovely event….it was truly multi-cultural and well planned.
Jan, Horn Elementary

Barb November 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I wanted to thank you for such a wonderful afternoon. I enjoyed it as much as the children. The students & I had to laugh on the way home when I told them that Ms. Roth’s office looked very much like my classroom did last week when they were making self-portraits.
I thought you would enjoy some comments from a parent who attended with us: “What a wonderful presentation for the kids, and I enjoyed it as well. Melinda and I talked about it all the way home. She learned some interesting facts. I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the author presentations I have gone to with your ELP classes! Mary does a tremendous job of putting them together.”
Thank you again for all you do putting on such wonderful programs that bring unique experiences to the children. Have a wonderful fall.
Take care,
Barb, Learning Strategist, St. Ludmila Center-Holy Family School

Doreen November 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I received a grant from the Davenport Schools Foundation to attend the trip last week and one of the components of the grant was parent involvement. Attached are some pictures we took at our parent meeting of students sharing their research with families and creating the self-portraits. I thought you’d like to see them. Thanks for a great opportunity for our students.
Doreen, TAG Facilitator

Mary Evans November 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I’ve posted some of Doreen’s great photos in the Photograph Gallery!

Pamela November 9, 2010 at 12:24 am

Thank you for a well-organized, entertaining, and educational event! The students were fascinated and the adults enjoyed every moment, too! I loved the message that was sent to the students about peace and making a difference.

Doreen November 9, 2010 at 5:16 pm

We had a school wide assembly on Friday and have started collecting pennies at Garfield in Davenport. Last night we had a community sharing event where kids presented their research projects to parents and community members. This has been a wonderful learning experience for the students at Garfield school. Thank you so much for organizing this opportunity. We had a fabulous experience.
Doreen, TAG Facilitator

Susan November 15, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Dear Mary,
The great big box of treasures arrived from you yesterday, absolutely perfectly timed (we have just returned). WOW!!!! They are so gorgeous!!!!! Please share 9,999,999 thank you(s) from me to all the participants!!!! And twice that many to the website creators. What a fabulous coverage. I am completely honored. I sent the article and pictures on to Julia Bergman already.
Thank you one more time for the whole city of paper dolls. I’ll try my best to let you know their itineraries. I expect to send at least some of them to Cairo with the librarian from the Biblioteca Alexandrina when she comes to visit here in the spring.
Love to all,