Presidential Troupe

by on February 16, 2011

1st-trip-of-2011 for the Presidential Troupe

Here we are unloading the government van in front of Jefferson Elementary in Clinton, IA. This is the first stop on the Time Travel to Revolutionary America 2011 Tour for the Presidential Troupe. During the months of February, March, and April five docents, who volunteer for the Hoover Presidential Library,  don historical costumes and drive hundreds of miles crisscrossing IA to make history come alive for thousands of fifth graders.

Revolutionary America is a 60-minute program covering the years 1763-1789. The docents assume historical personae, dress in period costumes, and debate on behalf of Loyalists and Patriots. Students have the opportunity to interact with James Madison, Samuel & John Adams, a Loyalist, and Benjamin Franklin.

Our next stop is Camanche Middle School on February 22, 2011.

Comments

James February 17, 2011 at 9:47 am

I understand that with budget cuts schools are finding it increasingly difficult to pay for buses, gas, and drivers to take field trips. Many institutions and museums are relying only on web sites to reach out to their constituents. While this is good. I think that the web cannot compare to the person to person history your troupe of volunteers are providing. Way to go on a good efficient use of tax payers’ money for a change.
Great Job!

A retired teacher

Carlos February 22, 2011 at 9:52 pm

This kind of volunteerism is what makes the USA great! The recent protests in Wisconsin don’t do much for the image of a typical public school educator.

Regardless of which side of the issue you are on, the reality is that bad teachers find refuge in a system that is geared toward egalitarianism. On the flip side of the same coin, excellent teachers cannot be rewarded apart from their not so excellent peers. There definitely needs to be some kind of change.

Ben Franklin March 2, 2011 at 3:07 pm

What passionate comments. My father paid for only two years of my schooling. Since I failed arithmatic when I was 8, he felt school was a bad investment on me. So I read all the books I could borrow. Teaching oneself is a valid method of learning. Ben Franklin

Kate from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Dear Ben Franklin,
I thought you looked like the real Ben Franklin. You really stayed in character. I learned that some loyalists were killed by patriots. Some even went back to England. If I lived in that time I would have been a patriot. I like the experiement about electricity. I also like your inventions. Was it tough being a patriot back then? Everybody acted like the real people that they were.
Your Friend,
Kate

Morgan from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Dear John Adams,
I like all the facts that you gave us. I liked your costumes. You all sounded like the real character. It was like a real play. I really felt like I was there. Thanks for coming!
Morgan

Ceacy from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Dear Loyalist,
Thank you for the show. I liked the way you act because you were a girl. I liked the clothes you wore. You were a good actor.
Sincerey,
Ceacy D.

Marianna from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Dear Actors,
I loved it when you came. I loved hearing what you had to say. I liked hearing about what both sides thought. Samuel Adams’ dog Que was funny. I can’t believe you trained him to do that. I loved it when the loyalist said what she had to say, and what she thought about things. That was so wonderful that you came to us.
Marianna W.

Christine from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
You looked like him. You were a great actor. You did such a great job. I learned that you were one of the people that was in the Boston Tea Party. You were funny. I had so much fun there. I had a great time. If Sam Adams was still a live you might look alike. I had fun.
Christine

A student from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Dear Actors,
I liked the play because I learned somethings about Adams, Madison, Benjamin Franklin, and Samuel Adams. Thank you for coming to Jefferson. Samule Adams really stood out, and the loyalist was AWESOME.

Jared from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Dear Actors,
I’m sorry I missed when you guys came. I am just wonderering how it would feel to be like that back then. I saw the pictures. They looked like you guys were what they looked like back then.
Jared

Hanike from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
I liked when you spoke loud. And where did you get the name Q? And why did you tell Q to bite the red coats? I really want to visit the Herbert Hoover Museum. Why didn’t you run for President? You would of done a good job. Thank you for coming to Jefferson.
Hanike
P.S. Tell Madison I said hi.

Olivia from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm

You are all awsome actors. I really like the cool outfits that you wore for the play. I wish I could go to the museum. You are very creative to make the play and make it come to life. P.S. I hope you all liked the Jefferson School.
Olivia

Drake from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Dear Actors,
It was fun when you guys came. You act real. You were funny and it was fun to learn about you. Thanks for coming. We all enjoyed it. It was good. Thank you and I like what you were.
From Drake

Payton from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I wasn’t there but if I was there I would answer alot of the questions. I learned a lot about the loyalists and the presidents. It was cool that I learned about it. But I now know that Mr. Adams was married with the loyalists. [In real life they are Mrs. and Mrs. Langenhan.] Thank you for coming to Jefferson.
From: Payton

Lauren from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Dear Actors,
The things that impressed me were the actors, the costumes, and the knowledge. You guys were like the people. I LOVED IT!
Lauren

D’Amare from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Dear Loyalist,
Why did you want to be a loyalist? Was it because that is what side your family is on? I can see that your friends would be mad but always stick with family.
D’Amare

Jordan from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
Thank you for coming to Jefferson. I liked how you were talking loud. When I and our class practice the Boston Tea Party I was Samuel Adams. I loved playing it was cool. I like your clothing. It was like the old days.
Jordan

Malik from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
Samuel Adams was one of the most amazing people there. He was cool. He was exciting. He was very sure of himself and told of his life. When he did talk he told a pretty good one. He told about his dog Q. He taught Q how to bite people only in red. And he said Q would come home with a red cloth in his mouth. And then he told us the type of sports he played. He said he played some type of ball game and that was cool. Thank you for coming to Jefferson.
Malik

Allani from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Dear Loyalist,
I wasn’t here for the play but thank you for coming to ourschool. And I saw some of your pictures and I wonder how did you and the actors get clothes that looked just like the ones in the old days? Also I want you to know a little about me. I like to play and I am an awesome reader. Once again thank you for coming to our school. Come back soon!
Love,
Allani

Dawson from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
I liked when you said Que, your dog, attacked the soldiers. I wish I can go back in time to be in the war. I want to see your dog Que. I want to be a rebel. Do you want to see the war again?
Dawson

Liz from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Dear Actors,
Thank you for the play. I really enjoyed it. I didn’t know that loyalists can be nice. I learned a lot and I liked that you actually looked like the real people and acted like they would. For example Benjamin Franklin was quiet, Samuel Adams was LOUD! The loyalist was concerned and the president gave a lot of information. Well, I really enjoyed it. Thank you.
From, Liz

Joey from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
You were very good at acting. You projected your voice very good. I think you helped me learn a lot of stuff. Thank you. I lked the play. I also liked the other actors. Thank you!!
From,
Joey

Nicole from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Dear Loyalist,
It looks hard back then. Then it is pretty cool because you guys looked like they were right there in front of me.
Your costumes looked real and you looked like a real loyalist. Would you really be a loyalist back then? I had fun. Thank you for helping teach us.
Your firend,
Nicole

Ethan from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Dear Samuel,
Thank you for coming. I thought it was cool. You guys were funny. I learned a lot of stuff. You had to be brave and strong to come here and do the play. I loved the Play. It was funny and I learned a lot of stuff.
Ethan
P.S. I hope you have a good spring break and have fun.

Anastasia from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Dear Loyalist,
I thought you were spontaneous. I thought you were the best out of all. You really said what you felt. You expressed your feelings. Thank you for coming to Jefferson Elementary. I really learned a lot. It was really interesting. I was really impressed in what you did.
Anastasia

Marlen from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Dear President Madison,
I liked how you acted in the play. I learned a lot from the play, you and the actors made. I would like to visit the Herbert Hoover Museum. Maybe I will visit it over spirng break. You and my social studies teacher said you were the father of the Constitution. Thanks for coming to Jefferson School. We all loved it!!
Marlen

Alisia from Jefferson Elementary April 2, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Dear Loyalist,
Thank you for coming to Jefferson. I liked the dress you were wearing.
Alisia

De Leon from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Dear actors,
I wasn’t there so I don’t know what to say. My class and I did a play on the revolution and I got to be President Adams. It was really fun. One time I will probably come down to the museum and see it. Have a very good day everybody.
Your friend,
DeLeon

Waylon from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 10:11 am

Dear President Madison,
I like that you answeedr the questions we had and the clothes you wore. Thank you for coming to Jefferson.
Waylon