History Comes Alive at Wellman!

by on March 18, 2011

History-comes-alive_web

These 5th graders are enjoying interacting with the Presidential Troupe on St. Patrick’s Day. Are they smiling because Ben Franklin is talking about his days in France? Or…are they listening to John Adams as he defends the British soldiers at trial? Or…are they watching the Loyalist as she recalls the Boston Massacre?  Or…

Taxation-without-representation_web

You GUESSED it!

It’s Samuel Adams as he riles up the crowd talking about the Stamp Act. “Would you like that? Having to pay a half-penny on every sheet of paper you use.”

History Anecdote: The Sons of Liberty were started in Massachusetts by a loud-mouthed firebrand named Samuel Adams. They grew from a group called the Committees of Correspondence in the early months of 1765 and met in secret in the colonies’ bigger towns, often late at night.

At the age of 43, Sam Adams had failed at just about everything he had tried. He had studied law, lost a fortune in business, and even failed as a tax collector. But all those failures were forgotten when he turned to politics, because Samuel Adams was a spellbinding speaker. He could whip a crowd into a frenzy!

Comments

Trey from Jefferson Elementary April 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
Samuel Adams was one of my favorites because he was loud. Also because he was funny sometimes. I liked the part where Sam talked about his dog and he said he came home with a piece of red cloth in his mouth. I liked it when Sam talked about when he lost his watch. I liked the reenactment because it was fun to watch.
Trey

Lexi from Jefferson Elementary April 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Dear Samuel,
I liked your part because you told your dog to go after the red coated people. I liked that you acted like the real Samuel Adams. You were funny, too. I wish I could see it again. Everybody did a great job. You were verrry loud. We enjoyed your visit.
Lexi

Kole from Jefferson Elementary April 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
I like the way you spoke out and you thought what you thought. I understood what you were saying. You were very good I thought. I liked how everybody got all dressed up like back then.
Kole

Johnathan from Jefferson Elementary April 4, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Dear Samuel Adams,
Thank you for coming. I thought it was cool. You were funny. You had to be brave to come her and do that. I hope you will come again.
Johnathan

Miranda from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 9:54 am

Dear Samuel Adams — Great Job!
Thank you for everything the play was really nice. What I liked was when you yelled loud and mean. I wished I could of seen the whole thing but it was really nice. I told my mom about it and she said she wished she could go and I told her Ha ha ha ha and I did and of course she laughed and tickled me. But you made me laugh a lot and I liked it. Well, I have to let you go. I can’t use 3 papers of talking to you so BYE BYE!!
Your Friend,
Miranda

Student from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 10:15 am

Dear Samuel Adams,
I was impressed at how loud you were. I learned you had a dog named Que and that you trained him to get the red coats, I might go to the museum this summer. Thank you so much for coming to our schol.
Sincerey,
Tiy
P.S. Go Patriots!!!!

William from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 10:24 am

Dear Samuel Adams,
I like the way you were louder than everyone else. I like when you fell off the horse and they had to make a pillow for your bottom.
William

Skylar from Jefferson Elementary April 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

Dear Samuel Adams,
I like how you were loud, and we could understand you and you were creative and funny and you looked like you were from back then. I felt like I was there. I liked how you gave great information and about your life and other people. I have a couple of Questions.
Are you married?