Project Archaeology Workshop

by on July 11, 2011

Would you like to learn about past and present cultures?

How about ways to improve social studies and science education?

What about experiences that enhance citizenship education to help preserve our archaeological legacy?

32 teachers, 3 presenters and 4 guest speakers joined together on June 22-24, 2011, for a hands-on professional development opportunity at the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library in partnership with the Office of the State Archaeologist. The topic of discussion was how to utilize Project Archaeology: Investigating Shelter, an acclaimed inquiry-based social studies and science curriculum, in your educational setting.

Iowa history teacher Michael Zahs wowed everyone talking about his experiences reconstructing log houses and shared several original tools of the trade. Lynn, Cherie, and Diane were so knowledgeable about the hands-on archaeological activities that the two and a half days sped by too quickly.

To learn more about Project Archaeology contact: Office of the State Archaeologist, 700 Clinton Street Building, Iowa City, IA 52242 or call (319) 384-0561 or http://www.uiowa.edu/~osa/

Comments

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Loved the “hands-on” activities…great material!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm

The resources that were organized helped tremendously. The lessons and the opportunity to actually do these helped me to defend its source in our rooms.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I liked that the workshop was held at the Hoover Presidential Library. The learning activity ideas were exceptional.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I liked that most of the activities were hands-on. The second day was the best! Mike Zahs was engaging and very interesting. I loved learning about the log houses and seeing the tools (artifacts.)

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I enjoyed the variety of topics, activities and speakers, and the interactive activities pertinent to elementary age kids.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I liked the use of the Hoover Museum and tour. The expertise of the presenters was SUPER!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I liked EVERYTHING! modeling lessons, tour of Museum, role model of role playing, speaker Michael Zahs, and presentation @ blacksmith excavation. I wouldn’t change a thing!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I liked the comfortable chairs and work space! I enjoyed the activities, going through lessons, artifacts, cooperative groups and guest speaker Mike Zahs.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm

I liked all the activities that modeled the lessons. I really enjoyed all parts of the workshop. It was great. I enjoyed the class.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I liked the hands-on situations…

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I liked having a complete unit guide to look at and use. I liked getting to actually try the activities for the students.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I enjoyed the quadrant activities, museum tour, Michal Zah’s presentation.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:31 pm

All of the materials & ideas presented were new to me. I felt like I learned a lot.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I liked the interesting stories, especially the Michael Zahs’ presentation.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I liked how enthusiastic the leaders were about this topic. I liked the guest speakers and the food! I really enjoyed the class! I now plan to investigate the woods of the home I grew up in to investigate articles I remember seeing. I talked to my dad and he thinks it was a hermit that use to live there.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I loved it all! I personally learned so much about archaeology that I will use in teachable moments in school. I liked Michael’s “yes/no” question technique to find out about things, people, etc. I am going to bring in more objects to my classroom. I will pick and choose, but definitely use more “hands-on” in my classroom. Thank you for everything. I want to dig up my yard! :)

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I liked the experience of doing each activity (lesson) was much more helpful than just reading and listening. It gave me more ideas as to how to use with my 1st grade class. The speakers were great! Everything was great!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I liked the materials given us, being able to actually do some of the parts of the project, and the wonderful presenters.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I loved going through each lesson so I can now have a good understanding of the lessons and can easily implement them into my class. I loved this workshop! The presenters were so knowledgeable and easily shared what they knew. I loved the guest speakers. I loved the tour of the site. I loved how interested the students in the class were on this topic. Thank you also for all the materials you gave us!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I like the importance of using materials, sites, speakers near you to motivate students about history, etc.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

A+
There’s not enough room for me to write about all the things I liked about the workshop. I LOVED the course, your knowledgeable delivery, and I truly enjoyed the lessons. I also loved Michael Zahs!! I am so excited to use Project Archaeology in my class next year! This is truly one manual that won’t collect dust on the shelf.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I liked Michael Zahs’ presentation and Mary’s tour of the Museum. She was excellent!

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I liked Lane’s tour at the blacksmith’s shop.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I liked the pace and timing was great. Facility is wonderful. Knowldge of presenters was fabulous. I thought it was great! Thanks for the learning experience.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I really enjoyed it in every way. I liked the real life examples and artifacts. The first hand experience of the presenters, their knowledge and enthusiasm, patience & skill.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I liked the variety of viewpoints from the presenters.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I liked the hands-on activities and the materials provided.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm

It was great! Thanks
The location was awesome. Presenters were knowledgable & easy to understand. Great books with easy laid out lessons to use.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:02 pm

I really enjoyed all of the activities & handouts. I have also realized how much I’ve missed being a part of all of these great opportunities.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I liked the lessons being presented to us & us taking part in them. I liked putting artifacts in their grids & analyzing their location. I liked all of it.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I liked EVERYTHING! I like workshops that are hands on and this was very hands on. It also was great to have background knowledge which was given to us by the experts. There was nothing in the content of the workshop that I would change. It was great and very well planned. I love everything.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for the wonderful class last week at your library. Everything was delightful. It was perfect. The accommodations and the lunches were wonderful. Your tour of the museum just intrigued me. You are amazing. I really caught your spirit and love of your job and I was so drawn into the Hoover experience. I so enjoyed the class instructors and guest speakers and left with so much to share with my Tipton students and staff. It was so touching to be leaving the class and see the families coming for the naturalization service and hearing the music outside. You have an important job. Again, you are amazing Mary. You are so genuine and sweet and warm and one smart lady.

Participant in the workshop July 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I just wanted to write a note to thank Lynn, Cherie, Diane, and our wonderful speakers for the wonderful class in West Branch. Everyone’s love for their work and breadth of knowledge intrigues me. I learned so much that I can apply to my teaching. We have a wonderful little historic village that is being established in Tipton which included an old school called “Bedbug School” that was moved in from the countryside. My mind is churning with all kinds of activities that we can center around that school and especially since I went to a one room schoolhouse in Illinois. I loved that our workshop was in the Hoover Park. The historical setting with archivists working around me made me feel more like a researcher myself and definitely a learner.