Tuesday, January 14, 2014, from 9 AM to noon, the National Archives National Declassification Center (NDC), in partnership with the Central Intelligence Agency’s (CIA) Historical Review Program, hosts a symposium: “A City Divided: Life and Death in the Shadow of the Wall.” Archivist of the United States David S. Ferriero will provide opening remarks. Symposium speakers will explore newly released and published declassified documents that reveal East and West Berliners’ struggle for life and death in a divided city. The event is free and open to the public and press, and will be held in the William G. McGowan Theater of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC (email NDC@nara.gov to reserve a seat).
The National Archives Building is located on the National Mall and is fully accessible. Attendees should use the Special Events entrance on 7th and Constitution Ave, NW. Metro: Yellow and Green lines, Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter station.
by Alex on January 10, 2014
This is just a brief reminder to everyone that the NDC will be hosting its second symposium on Berlin: A City Divided: Life and Death in the Shadow of the Wall on Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at the William G. McGowan Theater located at the National Archives Building, Constitution Street Special Event Entrance. The symposium will run from 9:00 AM to noon.
by Don on November 22, 2013
The full content of the booklet and DVD created for this project are accessible in their entirety, along with a finding aid to help reserachers with any records inquiries. Any questions or concerns can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
by Don on November 14, 2013
The NDC has released a listing of 403 entries that have completed declassification processing between August 5 and November 8, 2013 and are now available for researcher request. This release records from both military and civilian agencies.
- Department of State, U.S. Mission to Berlin, Classified Central Subject Files,
- Department of State, U.S. Mission to International Organizations in Vienna; International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Subject Files
- Atomic Energy Commission, Manhattan Engineer District (MED), Oak Ridge Operations Office, District Organization Charts,
- Army Staff, Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC), Historian’s Source Files
- Army Staff, Domestic Disturbance Files,
- Inter-service Agencies, Military Advisory Assistance Groups (MAAG) files: Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Belllux, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Norway, Italy,
- United States Agency for International Development, Country, Subject and Project Files, and
- Department of the Treasury, Office of the Assistant Secretary for International Affairs, Subject Files
Requests to access the newly released records or to order copies should be directed to Archives 2 Reference at 301-837-3510 or email@example.com.
(When making a request, please cite the HMS Entry and Series Title.)
by Don on October 24, 2013
The National Declassification Center has rescheduled the free, one-day symposium for Tuesday, January 14th, 2014. It will start at 9am and run until noon in the McGowan Theater at the National Archives Building in downtown Washington DC. All of the previously announced speakers are confirmed to attend.
The accompanying publication will be available free to all attendees of the symposium. The newly declassified and released documents are slated for a web-release in the middle of November 2013.
Those who have previously registered for tickets will have their spaces held for them.
For more information and seat registration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org