Issues for Federal Agency Counsel Course Offering
We will offer The Case for Records Management: Issues for Federal Agency Counsel in College Park, MD on October 21, 2014.
Legal professionals know when business-critical information is missing or inaccessible, an agency risks damage to its reputation, failure to perform its mission, and expensive litigation. This half-day briefing by National Archives and Records Administration legal and records management staffs will discuss issues related to discovery, records retention and legal holds, and electronic information.
Who should attend?
This briefing is targeted toward general counsel, inspectors general, attorneys and paralegals interested in the management of their own records and/or responsible for providing legal direction in Federal agencies regarding agency records management and litigation.
Location: Archives II, College Park, MD
Date: Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Length – 1/2 Day 9:00AM – 12:00 Noon
Enroll by clicking here
For persons unable to travel to College Park, a recording of an earlier briefing is available on our YouTube channel.
Part I: Approximately 80 minutes.
- Key points in Federal statutory and regulatory requirements that relate to agency records
- Best practices in building a defensible records management program
- Counsel’s role in an agency records management program
- Challenges and legal issues associated with electronic records
Part II: Approximately 75 minutes.
- The Nexus Between E-Record Keeping and E-Discovery
- Email, Backup Tapes, Metadata
- Legal Holds on Records and the Duty of Agency Counsel
- The Presidential Memorandum and Implementing the Managing Government Records Directive